Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: critique corner (composition)

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

critique corner (composition)

Hi,

I wander how many of you like to have a "dedicated category" in this forum for critique only.

I have in mind something like :
    1. each member have right to post once per week.
    2. everybody is free to comment.
    3. Comment is sustain by composition theory, color theory or why this should be excluded from (theory).
    4. Each critique should have good points and bad points.
    5. General comment tone should be polite, but straight to subjects above.
    6. Images submitted to discussion can't be part of any contest in CiC.
    7. Post Proces should not be more then 30% from total comments. (more like yes/no sustain compotition/message)

By my side, I like to have my "best weekly picture" comment to the bone. Is going to "double" the usual posting and C&C? I don't think so, because this one is ment to be "one per week", beside regular posting.
    Second, here we can cut a bit more on composition, not on postprocess or equipment.

It might be impossible due to hardware/software/people limitation of forum (yes, I like our moderators, don't want to see them "ghosts" because of this).

What do you think ?

Thanks,
    Leo

Real Name
    John

Re: critique corner (composition)

You could start a thread with those parameters, only thing is...everyone would have to give a title to their photograph or else we would lose track of which image is being critiqued.

Real Name
    Andrew

Alternatively, a forum titled "Critiques" under the existing Photo Commentary and Competitions headline and left wide open without any limit except the basic norms of politeness might do. It works well on other websites. You might also have to decide if detailed critiques are allowed in the other forums. This would also give people experience at judging photos which if done properly is not as easy as some may think.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Leo,

What I would like to see is a section dedicated to SOOC shots like the section: “Image Post – Processing & Printing”
    Images must be SOOC . Comments may only be on, as you suggest and camera settings, as to how to improve the image.

Maybe this way members will also learn new methods to improve image quality without using PP.
    You know what I mean – try WB on 3600K or adjust exposure control to +⅓, avoid shooting in vivid.

The object should be to make members beter camera operators instead of computer operators.

Colin, Dave Donald – how about it?

Real Name
    Mark

Rules bloody rules!!! why do we need to complicate something that already works? and why would we want to limit a users posts for critique to 1 per week? None of this will increase the amount of critique that you get, in fact it may have the result of people not viewing your image because they dont generally give critique and these lost viewers might be moved into starting critique by your image!

The simple way round this is to post your image in the relevant category and make it clear what you want from the forum.

As someone who does give C&C i find it infuriating when people post an image but dont say what they are after. i think a posting template would be more useful and so ill start a thread on it!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I see no helpfulness in such a forum that doesn't already exist at CiC. I do see a number of impracticalities, such as...

1. each member have right to post once per week.
    Why only once per week? Even if the limitation was provided, how would it be monitored and enforced?

3. Comment is sustain by composition theory, color theory or why this should be excluded from (theory).
    7. Post Proces should not be more then 30% from total comments. (more like yes/no sustain compotition/message)
    I don't understand why any helpful critique should be excluded to any degree at any time.

6. Images submitted to discussion can't be part of any contest in CiC.
    So, if someone captures an image in a particular month and submits their photo to the dedicated forum, doing so would prevent them from submitting the same image perhaps weeks later to the monthly contest. That doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

By my side, I like to have my "best weekly picture" comment to the bone...here we can cut a bit more on composition, not on postprocess or equipment.
    It seems to me that you could simply post an image weekly and request that kind of critique.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

There are sections in the forum specifically for the posting of images for C & C. They are called 'Nature & Architecture' and 'People and Pets'.

They work. In the past and in the face of suggestions for the creation of lots of sub-sections similar to that found in many other fora (that inevitably attract small numbers that then form into something like a 'closed shop'), the view on here is that what we've got ain't broke, so why fix it.

There are no plans to change the structure and design of CiC.

If people want constructive C & C, then what they need to do is ask for it. That doesn't require a wholesale restructuring of the design of the forum. If people wish to start a thread on a specific aspect of photographic practice and invite others to contribute to it, so be it. Please go ahead.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th November 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    There are sections in the forum specifically for the posting of images for C & C. They are called 'Nature & Architecture' and 'People and Pets'.

They work. In the past and in the face of suggestions for the creation of lots of sub-sections similar to that found in many other fora (that inevitably attract small numbers that then form into something like a 'closed shop'), teh view on here is that what we' got ain't broke, so why fix it.

There are no plans to change the structure and design of CiC.

If people seek constructive C & C, then what they need to do is ask for it. That doesn't require a wholesale restructuring of the design of the forum. If people wish to start a thread on a specific aspect of photographic practice and invite others to contribute to it, so be it. Please go ahead.

My thoughts entirely Donald.

I would add that it is awfully easy to set up a Forum these days so if people have strong opinions about how to run one and they differ from what has been proven to work here ...they could try setting up on their own.

I, for one, would be fascinated to see how a forum based on the suggested changes would fair.
    Last edited by Daisy Mae; 19th November 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    My thoughts entirely Donald.

I would add that it is awfully easy to set up a Forum these days so if people have strong opinions about how to run one and they differ from what has been proven to work here ...they could try setting up on their own.
    oooo Sharron thats fighting talk!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    oooo Sharron thats fighting talk!
    Mark..am a gentle peace loving soul.

I did however run my own Photography Forum and know that it is easy to criticise but not so easy to get things right.

CIC gets it right.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLeo View Post
    I wander how many of you like to have a "dedicated category" in this forum for critique only.
    Not me.
    The system of critiquing at CiC works fine; better than most other nternet forums.

WW

Real Name
    Sharon

I used to be a member of a forum that had an Appraisal Gallery ( for critique ) and an Exhibition Gallery ( for non critique) some of you will know where I mean.

Problem is..if you posted on the Exhibition gallery you were accused of posting rubbish because you didn't believe in it enough to post in Appraisal and take the critique. That frightened so many people away.

Is that REALLY what we want for CIC.??

Real Name
    Mark

Is that REALLY what we want for CIC.??
    nope!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    As someone who does give C&C i find it infuriating when people post an image but dont say what they are after. i think a posting template would be more useful and so ill start a thread on it!
    Mark I am not sure how specific you want them to be in saying what they are after. Many new posters are open to any suggestions that may help them improve their photography. As you suggest a template or check-box list may be quite useful as a reference for both the poster and those providing C&C .

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Mark I am not sure how specific you want them to be in saying what they are after. Many new posters are open to any suggestions that may help them improve their photography. As you suggest a template or check-box list may be quite useful as a reference for both the poster and those providing C&C .
    That's the thing Paul..easier for people to ask for the level of crit in their own words than tick boxes and have people wonder why they chose/didn't choose the ones they did.

Here at least you can post and say what you would like by way of crit ( if anything) for each shot as you go and as your confidence allows which means beginners aren't intimidated.

Surely we are mature enough here to give decent critique without being harsh or judgemental and always with encouragement in mind.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

hmmmmmm.........

whatever.

Life's too short.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi Leo,

What I would like to see is a section dedicated to SOOC shots like the section: “Image Post – Processing & Printing”
    Images must be SOOC . Comments may only be on, as you suggest and camera settings, as to how to improve the image.

Maybe this way members will also learn new methods to improve image quality without using PP.
    You know what I mean – try WB on 3600K or adjust exposure control to +⅓, avoid shooting in vivid.

The object should be to make members beter camera operators instead of computer operators.

Colin, Dave Donald – how about it?
    The aim should be to encourage people to be both better camera operators and computer operators
    This is the digital age and Kodak has gone to the wall. Photographers are free from the restrictions of needing a laboratory working to strict parameters. The aim should be to produce a camera file which when post produced gives the required result.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

why not a section for people who just want to post their pictures?

( a stress-free section where posters don't wait in fear what the professisonal CnC masters have to say about their pix.)

afterall, we already have a CnC section "nature and architecture",

maybe it's time for a section without CnC?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    maybe it's time for a section without CnC?
    Based on my experience, there are far more web sites already devoted to that. So, I see no compelling reason to add a section here to satisfy that need.

I should add that I do have a bias that one of the two primary reasons that I came here is that any image posted here is subject to helpful critique. I would be immensely disappointed to see a change about that.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Based on my experience, there are far more web sites already devoted to that. So, I see no compelling reason to add a section here to satisfy that need.

I should add that I do have a bias that one of the two primary reasons that I came here is that any image posted here is subject to helpful critique. I would be immensely disappointed to see a change about that.
    This is one good example of what's so appealing/good about our forum.

Everyone is welcome to give his/her own opinion/comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast