Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Second flash

Real Name
    Joe

Second flash

Hello again
    I'm using an SB700 triggered from D90 in commander mode but I would like to have another flash triggered the same way in the same time as the SB700. Can I get some recommendations, please?
    Not sure if Nissin Digital Speedlite Di-466 is working this way but first of all I would like a cheap solution as the flash will be used as second light source...

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Second flash

the nissin di866 ll works in this way and it can be both commander or slave the 466 will also work that way you can download the instructions for them here
    http://www.nissindigital.com/downloa...atibilitychart

i think youngo do a nikon compatible model now as well, Have you thought of buying second hand? also if you just want it triggered at the same time you could find one with an optical trigger built in or get an old manual flash and use a cheap optical/ radio trigger system. As you develop your technique youll find yourself setting the flashes manually and not using the TTL function any more, so i might not be worth spending the extra cash.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Mark, thank you for the guidance. I'll go with a new Di-466 as I feel more comfortable having the warranty

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think Mark has hit the important points. Unlike Mark, I use TTL when shooting with my flashes and usually only go manual when I shoot studio lights. I find that I use my Speedlights in mixed lighting situations and TTL gets what I want more quickly than shooting on manual.

I have two Nikon flashes, an SB900 and the SB600 (which was replaced by the SB700). I had the SB600 first and got the larger flash to give me more range for outdoor fill-light shots. I often use both off-camera as portable light sources (on a light stand and umbrella) and it is important for me to be able to independently control them in Commander mode. As long as the flash you get will integrate into your workflow.

Real Name
    J stands for John

The YongNu flash would work as 'second' flash' as they have a built in optical sensor, with a rotating head so the sensor can be pointed at the master flash but direct the flash elsewhere ...there is the 468 model [ Nikon or Canon versions] but that is only needed if you aim to put it on the cameera and work TTL. The main problem with optical sensors is that you need to be working on your own and without any stray flashes happening to trigger the flash before it is needed. They have 64 levels of output so I guess would be suitable as a second light to be balanced with your main lighting, I have only used the basic 8 levels but the manual tells me I have 8x8 levels

Real Name
    Joe

Thank you all for the advices!
    I've decided to go with a YongNu 560 II flash, found some on ebay for ~50 pounds. I'll use them only at home (for now) mainly for portraits and maybe products photo so triggering them via D90's flash won't be an issue.