Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dundee Dam

Real Name
    George

Dundee Dam

This one is on the Passaic River in Garfield, New Jersey. It has a long history (for this area) beginning in the mid 1800's. It was constructed by the Dundee Manufacturing Company for hydropower. C&C very welcome.

George

1/5 sec, f/1.8 ISO, 1600
    Dundee Dam

8 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200
    Dundee Dam

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Dundee Dam

Quote Originally Posted by geoz View Post
    It was constructed by the Dundee Manufacturing Company for hydropower.
    In which case, it must be a very, very well constructed dam (says the man who works in the city of Dundee).

Is it the same Dundee? I know we got ourselves about a bit, but the idea of going to New Jersey to build a damn. ??

As for the pics. A blend of the two would produce the result that I think would work best. For me, the second has more depth to it because there is a better spread of tones. However, I'm not a great fan of all that fluffy water. I think the water down from the dam in the first one is much better.

Have you studied Franks' first post in his Project 52 thread? These images are tailor-made for that treatment, in my opinion. Frank's post is here.

Real Name
    George

Re: Dundee Dam

Donald,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know the exact history of the dam but would not be surprised if there was some connection with Scotland. The dam was built at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Scots-Irish migrated here in the 18th and 19th century. Many ended up in Appalachia and have had a big influence on bluegrass and country music and dance. Also had some impact in NJ. I grew up in Perth Amboy (I think the Amboy part is from an native american word for the place - "marsh filled with mosquitoes" )

I do like the water from the first also, but like the detail from the second. I did see Frank's post. I'm still learning Lightroom and PP. I've downloaded Gimp which I believe can do the merge. So, on my todo list