Thread: chorleywood

Real Name
    rosie

chorleywood

would love a few pointers as am just starting out and doing a photography course part time. I love this photo because of the colours and the random people going about their day.

chorleywood

Real Name
    Jason

Re: chorleywood

Hi and welcome to cic!

I also took a photography course when I was in college. It was irrelivent to my major but I wanted to learn more about something I enjoy. The exposure is nicely handled. Although I think the wrong white balance was used. I also would have let the people walk closer as they are a bit far away to be the subject. The trees would have been a nice frame for the people walking.

Real Name
    rosie

thanks rhodes for replying - you are right about the white balance my photo came out looking blue ! hadnt covered that important point in the course up until this week ! I know i am learning and i find my friends are too polite to give me honest answers so i really value your comments - i take on board what you say about the focus of the shot and yes, i think you are right it would look better if the people were a bit further forward - great tips, thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Welcome to the CiC forums Rosie,

I'm sure you'll learn a lot here that'll help with your photography (and the course).

We're quite good at honest critique here and it does help us when you tell us about the photo (like you did), so you're off to a good start

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Hi Rose,
    Welcome to CiC, it's great to have you join us.
    The main thing is that you like your picture and enjoyed taking it, that's what it all about.; so well done.

This is a great site and I'm sure you will learn a lot from the tutorials and members.
    On the CiC front I too think if the people were meant to be the main subject it would have been nice if the were a bit more
    prominent in the frame.
    What sort of PP software are you using; if any?
    What type of camera are you shooting with?
    Hope you don't mind here are some alternative ideas for your picture; certainly not better just some ideas to allow you to consider other possibilities. If I have over-stepped the mark and you would like me to remove these please just let me know and they will be removed.
    Don't forget have fun with your Photography and thank you for sharing your picture with us.

chorleywood

chorleywood

Real Name
    rosie

I really like what you have done here - you have framed the picture and it looks great.

I have a nikon d300 and i am just using Gimp at the moment to experiment with the pp as it's free and it's early days for me.

thanks for your support means alot

Real Name
    John

Many of our members use Gimp and I understand it's very good. I know Donald; one the site MOD's uses it and his pictures are very (very) good.
    I look forward to seeing your progess over the coming weeks.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Philip

Hello Rosie. You are right about the image being too blue, so some colour adjustment would be needed. However, if you would like a colour image, I would guess that the slate and flint buildings should retain tones that tend towards grey:

chorleywood

Cheers.
    Philip