Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: As the day is sucked away.....

Real Name
    Paul

As the day is sucked away.....

Had a chance between jobs to stop off for a couple minutes. Looking for a few winter birds but there are few and I was short on time. On my way back to the truck I heard what sounded like a drain sucking water and air. That is when I saw this scene and was quite intrigued.

I have a favorite{I think} but am curious as to yours.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: As the day is sucked away.....

I think I like the first one best because it is not as far off center, particularly when you consider that the leaf, and the sky and leaf have better detail than the other two.

One thing I would do, however, is clone out your reflection because a person in an image will grab attention away from the subject. I would leave all the remaining detail in the reflection though.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Frank, I actually included myself on purpose. The reflection was the subject. I hoped the leaf and clouds would show it was outside in nature rather than in a bathtub or sink. The leaves are also what created the swirl. When the leaves where not present it was dead flat and boring.

Real Name
    Jim Manning

I like the second one. I think it looks good with the eye off center. Maybe add a little contrast. Beautiful shots!

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jim, you are spot on with the contrast needed. I really have looked at these to much, didn't catch that.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Thanks Frank, I actually included myself on purpose. The reflection was the subject. I hoped the leaf and clouds would show it was outside in nature rather than in a bathtub or sink. The leaves are also what created the swirl. When the leaves where not present it was dead flat and boring.
    Ah! The difficulty with your reflection is that it is so small. Being a person it commands a disproportionate amount of attention for its size but at that size it is almost lost. Kinda like a splinter that you can feel but almost can't see.

I think I like it better with the hole in the water with all the detail in the reflection being the focal point. But that's just me. Others may feel differently about it and if you are pleased, it has hit the mark.

Real Name
    Jon

Paul, of the three I like the first one the best. I think the sky and your reflection are a wonderful addition and I like the eye more center. Well done.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jon.

Frank, don't get me wrong...I am not discounting your thoughts and actually agree it is not optimal with the bit of reflection so small. I do want all of the elements that I included, so I may have to give this another go. Not sure I will have much luck with keeping every thing, but not everything I try is going to work. Yes, I still like it but I cropped a bit off and added the contrast and it does work better.

Last edited by jeeperman; 8th November 2012 at 01:27 AM.

Real Name
    Jim Manning

This looks great!

Real Name
    Steve

Hi paul, i like the second one the best, and good eye for catching it. Very interesting image.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jim, after I posted this one I had to add a little lumminance...just perked it up slightly.

Steve, thank you. You just never know what might catch yer eye when out scouting for birds. For which I had to resort to Ducks!

Real Name
    Bill S

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that the third one is my favorite. The way the ripple from the tip of the leaf flows through the frame seems to be the nicest of them all for me.

- Bill

Real Name
    Terri

My gut reaction is that I like the first one best because more is in focus. I actually like that your reflection is in there and I like that it is small because I see the leaf and swirl and follow into the reflection and then... wow, there's a person in there!

But the third one is a close second. I like the position of the swirl and to me the angle of the swirl and leaf give more of a sense of the movement.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

That is an interesting image. I like No 1 best. Must be because the leaf and reflection is in focus.

Real Name
    Lara

It's a very interesting image...

Original 2 image is my favourite... because I like the horizontal level of ground where a person stands and I like the shape of the cloud... but I would add a little bit of sharpness to the image...