Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooflines

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rooflines

I'm in love! Put on the new 70-200f4 L IS for the first time this morning.

First serious attempt. Any thoughts welcomed. But you're not allowed to criticise my darling.

Rooflines
    40D, 70-200f4 L IS@105mm, ISO100, 1/5 @ f16

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Rooflines

Looks perfectly sharp. Interesting abstract, nice colour, I like it.

70-200f4 L IS
    I am greener than a garden pea at a environmental convention

That is one sharp hunk of glass. As an image I personally would crop close into the roofs but that may be difficult with bell tower being a focal point.

Steve

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Congratulations on the new arrival Donald!

Have you popped a UV filter on it for front element protection? (I would!).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Congratulations on the new arrival Donald!

Have you popped a UV filter on it for front element protection? (I would!).
    Yes indeed. That was ordered at the same time. A Hoya SHMC Pro 1-D.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes indeed. That was ordered at the same time. A Hoya SHMC Pro 1-D.
    From the same place?

Had a few "rolls eyes" in that department recently ...

- a couple of years ago a dell monitor arrived in 2 parcels. The monitor in one, and the power cord in the other!

- I ordered an iPhone for the wife, and a couple of protective pouches ... yep, you guessed it ... 3 courier packs (all sent internationally).

- I ordered some canvas and 4 litres of spray the other day ... canvas has arrived ...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Colin

Ever since getting back seriously into this photography lark, I've been buying from Warehouse Express. I find their service excellent. But it does pose a dilemma.

There's a very good, independent retailer in the town closest to where I live. And if we don't support such outlets then they'll disappear. However, the local independent just can't compare on price and that is an important factor. I don't have lots of excess disposable income. When you see pretty high %age price differentials, it is difficult not to think of your wallet. But I still feel guilty about it.

Colin
    When you see pretty high %age price differentials, it is difficult not to think of your wallet. But I still feel guilty about it.
    The dilemma of Western capitalism. You want milk at dirt cheap prices from TESCO, but you feel guilty about farmers going out of business. You want a Toyota, but are concerned about car workers in the UK. You love that cheap pair of trainers, but they are made in India where workers get $1 a day.

Sad state of affairs, isn't it? Perhaps you want it both ways - cheap prices and not to feel guilty?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Sad state of affairs, isn't it? Perhaps you want it both ways - cheap prices and not to feel guilty?
    Rob
    Indeed, that is the conflict. At least I still have some moral fibre left - I refuse to shop in Tesco. At least I am privileged to be in a position where we can choose to buy our provisions in local stores. But, as was explored by a number of authors and thinkers in one of the major themes at this year's Edinburgh Book Festival, there's little point in me taking a 'holier-than-thou' attitude in the globalised economic world in which we now live. If I don't buy that cheap piece of fruit in Tesco that's been flown in from South America, then the person who grew it and was forced to do so for a price that hardly gives him/her any profit, is not going to thank me for being sanctimonious.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

FWIW Partly because of the reason Donald says and partly because I was fairly certain I was going to purchase body and lens from different manufacturers and I was unsure how well they would work together, I went for my 'local' independent dealer (actually about 15 miles or 3/4 hour away) rather than an internet trader. I did negotiate a price that was a good way towards internet rather than RRP, so I was fairly happy even when I left the shop.

Boy, am I glad I did by from a shop; I had problems , which the dealer was instrumental in helping me resolve (over several months) and now I have a Nikon lens for my Nikon camera! Ultimately, this cost a bit more, for less focal length range, (which is why I went elsewhere in the first place), but at least now I can start enjoying photography again after the last few months being afraid to download for fear of finding most/everything out of focus. Still, at least it honed my sharpening technique!

I cannot imagine having achieved a refund from one manufacturer to use with another via phone calls and e-mails to random people at an internet dealer and working alone. The personal touch and ability to try other lenses in the shop to prove the point was invaluable.

I do tend to buy filters, etc. from the internet, but if ever I am in that area, I will be paying him a visit and am likely to return for any larger items.

The dealer?
    Teddington Photographic Ltd. (formerly Andrews Cameras)
    Recommended by a satisfied customer.

Real Name

Colin

Ever since getting back seriously into this photography lark, I've been buying from Warehouse Express. I find their service excellent. But it does pose a dilemma.
    It's a thought-provoking topic; on one hand one could take the position that unless we "support local business" then they become financially unviable ...

... however, the other consideration is "what are they doing to save themselves" - are they adapting to new technology and upgrading their business model to remain competative?

Some time ago I read a letter to the editor in the local paper bemoaning the fact that a new mega-store in the district would kill of many small local businesses - a few days later I read a thought provoking reply that (in summary) suggested that "there may well be deaths, but they're suicides, not murders".

I recently finished an audio book by Richard Branson where he talks a lot about businesses - and the crux of his position (which I agree with) is along the lines of "A business is really nothing more than a service delivery mechanism" and "if it reaches a point (perhaps though failing the "survival of the fittest") then there's nothing defeatest in just shutting it down and moving on to something else that better meets the needs of the public".

Personally, I come across your kind of dilemma often - I for one usually prefer to pay more for a product that comes with better service, however - and somewhat ironically - I'm finding more and more that often mailorder companies have better prices AND better service.

I'm also conscious that "buy local" can also often be a guilt trip laid on us by those wishing to extort hard-earned $$$ from us; case-in-point ... 8 Lyson ink cartridges for my printer cost $800 (including delivery from England). 8 Epson cartridges from the NZ suppliers cost over $2000. The former respond to eMails in about 2 days and get the product to me in about a week ... the latter don't respond to eMails usually (although are nice enough on the phone), and deliver over night. Who do I now deal with? At a saving of $1200 per set, go figure ... someone in the food chain is just too darn greedy.

On the other hand I (reluctantly) continue to deal with Amazon.com - their pricing and systems are just so darned good (I say "reluctantly" because I've learned the hard way that when something doesn't go quite right they just can't handle it -- they just pop you into one of their automated systems that's about as non-sensical as a conversation between a human and a monkey at the zoo). Again, I've love to order locally but it would take a lot more time - more money - and I'd wait longer (and guess where they'd get it from?).

In the end I think it's an individual choice - personally, I try to be loyal to those who have treated me well (where-ever in the world they are), so long as their prices are reasonable. I'll also go out of my way to distance myself from businesses (like Vodafone) who (time and time again) demonstrated that they have neither the staff nor the mechanisms to efficiently handle customer-service issues.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 26th September 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

.... I for one usually prefer to pay more for a product that comes with better service, however - and somewhat ironically - I'm finding more and more that often mailorder companies have better prices AND better service.
    And that is a significant point. I'm happy to pay more for better service (except when the 'more' gets to ridiculous levels). With the internet trader I'm using, the service has been excellent, including those times when I have, for example, phoned up to ask a question or make a last minute adjustment to an order. And that's why I've gone back, even though web searches reveal the same product cheaper elsewhere. Those that have harnessed technology AND seem committed to providing good service are going to get the business.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I for one usually prefer to pay more for a product that comes with better service
    ~
    In the end I think it's an individual choice - personally, I try to be loyal to those who have treated me well (where-ever in the world they are), so long as their prices are reasonable. I'll also go out of my way to distance myself from businesses who (time and time again) demonstrate that they have neither the staff nor the mechanisms to efficiently handle customer-service issues.
    I'll sign up for this!

Rob
    At least I still have some moral fibre left - I refuse to shop in Tesco.
    Well, thank God you will never take your objections this far http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8274635.stm

Real Name

And that is a significant point. I'm happy to pay more for better service (except when the 'more' gets to ridiculous levels). With the internet trader I'm using, the service has been excellent, including those times when I have, for example, phoned up to ask a question or make a last minute adjustment to an order. And that's why I've gone back, even though web searches reveal the same product cheaper elsewhere. Those that have harnessed technology AND seem committed to providing good service are going to get the business.
    Perhaps what it says in summary, is that "whoever offers the best perceived value for the entire transaction wins". I have a (local) retailer who will charge me $900 for a 580EX II flash - knows very little about it - and will only sell it to me if I pay cash up-front. I have another (out of town) supplier who will sell me the same flash for $600 (or less) - appreciates that I won't ever require after-sales support - sends it overnight - and lets me pay for it pretty much "whenever" anytime next month or even the month after isn't a problem (in fact I've had several items where I've had to hassle THEM to send me an invoice) (and yes, they are a very successful multi-million dollar business). Go figure who I buy from

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Well, thank God you will never take your objections this far http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8274635.stm
    Wow - I can understand how the guy felt, but there are lines that you just can't cross - and that was most definately one of them.

Wow - I can understand how the guy felt, but there are lines that you just can't cross - and that was most definately one of them.
    Over here, Colin, we do things differently! Shows the importance of good customer service though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Saw this on the TV news last night. But the question we didn't get answered is, was the bottle of whisky he consumed before doing it, a quality branded malt from Strathspey, Islay, Orkney, etc, or was it one of the cheap, own-brand, firewaters that he probably bought out of Tesco!

Real Name

Saw this on the TV news last night. But the question we didn't get answered is, was the bottle of whisky he consumed before doing it, a quality branded malt from Strathspey, Islay, Orkney, etc, or was it one of the cheap, own-brand, firewaters that he probably bought out of Tesco!
    The bits I wondered about were "money problems" and "Rolls Royce" - Hmmm.

The bits I wondered about were "money problems" and "Rolls Royce" - Hmmm.
    No, you can get a decent used Rolls for about £15,000. Go on, Colin, spoil yourself. You'll be quite safe as there are no TESCO stores in NZ. Or are there?

http://www.compucars.co.uk/used-cars/rolls-royce/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast