Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light on Loch Broom

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Light on Loch Broom

Those of you who are familiar with my work will immediately see that this is 'out-of-the-box' stuff as far as I'm concerned. And when you venture into new territory you question (or at least I do) your own judgement. I like this, but will anyone else?

I set it up and then cropped it to give me this, what I thought of as an almost abstract image. It's almost straight into the sun.

So my questions are something along the lines of:
    Does it have visual appeal?
    Does it work?

Your views always help.

Light on Loch Broom
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @400mm. ISO 100. 1/2000@f16.

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Light on Loch Broom

Donald, I can still see some of "you" in this image, although it is different from your usual images I like it. I think what makes it for me are the very subtle layers mid image...this makes me want to look closer, and see more in the image. Well done "stepping out of the box"

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Donald, rightfully or wrongfully I tend to gage how much I like an image partially on how long I view it.

I will tend to explore an image looking for interesting detail. I didn't see much here to hold my interest until I noticed the one point of light(?) almost dead centre in the image. I wondered for a bit what it might be but admittedly it wasn't sufficient to hold my short attention span for very long. I also don't do well with abstracts so don't put much value on my opinion of this particular image.

Real Name
    Andrew

For what it's worth, I really like it - if I can, may I make two comments? The reflections on the water appear a little noisy to me, rather than solid reflections - but maybe it's just my crappy laptop. And two, if the sky was a patternless, graduated colour, rather than being able to see the clouds, I think it would fare in my top 10 of yours Donald. But obviously, moving clouds out of the composition is not something you can control.... I don't think anyway.

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Donald, I love the idea, but I wish I could see just a bit more difference in tones between the hills. Not sure how to describe it but I'd like to be able to see the layers of the ridges. Might be a monitor issue though. Otherwise Excellent.

Wendy

Edit: hmmmm, I'm also wondering if landscape format might work better. I know you are very particular about how you set up a shot, so I'm sure this is how you meant it to be, but something about the lines is bothering me and I wonder if it is because the lines are horizontal but the format is vertical.

I rather like this image - even though it doesn't have as much colour as I normally like,

What I do like is great use of the rule of thirds, and the various textures.

It's minimalist, but effective.

I don't know if you can get more contrast in the middle third, but it could be useful to bring out the hills farther back.

Glenn

As as you know, I seldom if ever comment on images on this forum.

Real Name
    Keith

Donald this is almost like 2 prints I have on my bedroom wall which I bought from the artist in Pont Aven over 20 years ago. They have very pale pastel shade bands though which I think makes a great difference. I do like this almost Oriental approach with simple bands of shades, it is so intruiging to the eye and very restful.

Keith

Real Name
    Terri

Donald, I don't think I have ever seen an image of yours that I didn't love.... until now I'm afraid. I must qualify that I have never been much into abstracts so that may be the most of it. I can't really figure out what I should be looking at here and the middle layers are so close in tone that I'm not really sure what is there.

I have to say, I'm very uncomfortable being critical but my reaction is so far opposed from my normal reaction to your work that I felt I should contribute honestly.

Real Name
    Bobo

It is one of those kind of images that one should print very large and hang on a wall to fully appreciate.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like abstracts and layers. This has both, so I like it a LOT! Considering that you asked if it has visual appeal or whether it works, put my check mark in both "Yes" columns.

Real Name
    Steve

At first glance, the water looks a little too sharp. Otherwise, a nice image, donald.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I never know how others people receive the comments and criticism made about their work, but I always find what you folks have to say so very helpful in allowing me to refine my own thoughts. And that, in turn, helps inform thinking and learning for the next time. So thank you, again.

And, Terri ..............

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I have to say, I'm very uncomfortable being critical ...
    Please do not be. That's what a 'grown-up' forum like this should be about. You gave a thoughtful, constructive comment. If you had been rude, then that would have been different. But you weren't.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th November 2012 at 07:43 AM.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Donald,

I quite like it. It reminds me of a Mark Rothko painting.

I do agree with Frank that there isn't really any detail or particular subject that really holds my attention, but as an abstract piece i think it works quite nicely. I can see it printed on canvas and hanging in a high end dental practice waiting room or somewhere similar!

Real Name
    Tommy

Edit: Double post.

Real Name
    Steven

I do like the layered look and the texture feel to it.

I am also thinking how would it look if you have used a super wide angle lens.

Real Name
    Anton

I have to ask, how did you manage to get a 1/2000 SS @ f16 and 400mm FL

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by groovesection View Post
    I have to ask, how did you manage to get a 1/2000 SS @ f16 and 400mm FL
    Because, Anton, it was so bright. It was full sun and I was metering (in manual mode) on water that was reflecting that sun.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Has a calming affect to me. The only problem I'm having there is seeing a focal point , my eyes are just wondering through the image with nowhere to rest. But over all I like what you try to do

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

Abstracts aren't usually my cup of tea either, but I immediately liked this one - although I have to admit this is partially because it isn't overpowered by the usual broad, bright border

As Steven; I like the use of thirds and I think it works in this orientation.

The only minor adverse thought that crossed my mind was the noise/grain, which I then 'test' removed with Neat Image and (I thought) it improved the shot.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Would find that in A1 size canvas printed on the wall of a classy apartment. Will definitely enhance the apartment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast