Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Candlelight and cake

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Candlelight and cake

I am not much of people photographer, landscapes and old buildings are more my thing. So I would welcome any critique of these images. As well, if anyone has a better idea about cropping or processing I would be very pleased to see, and read, about it so i can improve next time.

I could kick myself for shooting in jpeg and not RAW, my excuse is this is part of some candid family snaps for my grandson's birthday and I am too lazy to post process 50 images. I usually shoot this type of thing as jpeg to quickly get them on discs to hand out or email to family and friends. The candle light thing was a spur of the moment impulse.

My crop

Candlelight and cake

The original shot: if anyone cares to fool with it and do creative stuff

Candlelight and cake

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Candlelight and cake

Nice work! next time shoot jpeg and raw! the youll have the best of both worlds, your crop works well id just clone out the pen on the table is all.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

For some imbecilic reason I never remember to use this option. I should just leave the setting there and avoid the teeth gnashing and hair pulling that happens when I suddenly realize that A: I have fifty pictures to convert from RAW or worse B: I just shot fifty pictures with beautiful light at sunrise/sunset and I shot them in jpeg low quality because I yesterday shot some pictures of a skin disease on a dog (I am a vet; usually immune mediated sores are not my main genre) and forgot to reset the camera.

Real Name
    John

Hi Trevor,
    I like it; I would like some of that cake.
    Well done.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards
    John

You said we could have a play, here's my effort.

Candlelight and cake

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Trevor,
    Lovely shot the warm glow from the candles works really well, pity you didn't get another shot with more of the left hand side of the lads face, could have been interesting,
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Trevor,

Very nice and warm feeling to it. The candle light does it.
    I like the crop, just very sorry about the missing fingers.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

i love it, but here is a quick B&W nothing special but an option.

Candlelight and cake

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Andre and Pat: Thanks for the comments. I didn't even notice the fingers but it is a good point. As is the point about having more of the left side of the face. Some things to bear in mind. This sort of thing is why I posted this; aids to improvement that i would not have seen.

John and Allen: I like your interpretations. More grist for the mill and it is good to see where other people can take this. The only problem is I opened the images at work and now the women I work with have had my short comings exposed

Real Name
    Keith

Lovely Trevor. I like your crop and feel that the colour is just right - chocolatey and warm, perhaps a bit Christmassy as well. The eye is drawn to the little guy's face and his wondrous fascination with the candles, nothing else gets a look in. I wouldn't change anything. If that was one of my brood then it would be hung with pride. He will love you for it when he gets older.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks Keith: My wife and daughter agree. The problem is if we hang this one then I have to get one of my other grandson and he is one of those people who clown for the camera and every picture I have of him he is making a face.

Real Name
    Keith

Hang the picture and enjoy it Trevor. The other one will soon be wanting one of him up there so will play ball. We have two sets of two grandchildren and my wife has a family picture wall up the side of the stairs. The two we don't see so often make sure that the count if equal. One of the grandsons has the makings of a fine photographer, he is now 14 and he is getting a 1100D for christmas ( he has been saving up since July),so he will be wanting his favourite pictures on the wall soon I suspect.