Thread: Help with PS Camera Raw

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Help with PS Camera Raw

Hi all, as some of you may know i got a new canon 60d, and i found a problem, i can not initally open my raw files into photo shop, and i couldnt open them up with the canon software i already had, so i installed the updated version and it works on that, the only way i can get it into PS is to select it with DPP and transfer option to PS.

Every time i try to directly open it into PS it says that it cant because it isnt supported, although it is thwe same file type as the others from my 1000d. Any help would be great!!

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Re: Help with PS Camera Raw

What version of ACR do you have with photoshop? If it isn't new enough, it may not have the necessary code to open the file, even though it is the same file type as an older camera, each camera has a different format of that file. It's horribly annoying, but Adobe usually keeps up fairly well. Run a software update for PS and see if it says there is one.

Real Name
    Andrea

If your version of ACR is too old, and cannot be upgraded to handle canon 60d raw files,
    download the latest version of DNG converter

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...splayTab2.html

Convert the RAW files to the DNG format and open in ACR/PS.
    Just be sure to choose the DNG version compatible with your ACR.

Cheers
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    If your version of ACR is too old, and cannot be upgraded to handle canon 60d raw files,

Cheers
    A.
    Seems that this is the problem.

Glenn

As mentioned above, while the file type appears to be the same the format of the new camera's files is different. I had the same issue when I moved from the 7D to a new 5D3; my version of ACR didn't support the new files.

Rather annoyingly Adobe don't provide backward support for new types of RAW files. If you bought PS Elements 9 and they have released version 10 then only version 10 will get the updated version of ACR, with support for the new files. Older users either have to upgrade or use the DNG converter. This is what happened to me but, luckily, I had already decided to make the jump to Lightroom 4 and that supported the new file types.

Real Name
    Yes

Adobe could make their updates for raw work with older versions but choose not to so as to encourage you to update (spend more money on their products).

Real Name
    Ted

Yes, I bought PSE6 on CD and it came with a version of ACR that did not show the camera profiles tab. I was able to download a later version of ACR (5.4) but later versions than 5.4 are incompatible with PSE6, it said.

Real Name
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Yes, I bought PSE6 on CD and it came with a version of ACR that did not show the camera profiles tab. I was able to download a later version of ACR (5.4) but later versions than 5.4 are incompatible with PSE6, it said.
    If I am not wrong PSE6 came with CS3 for which the latest version of ACR is 4.6

Real Name
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Adobe could make their updates for raw work with older versions but choose not to so as to encourage you to update (spend more money on their products).
    That's partially true.
    However you can download for free the DNG converter and use new RAW files with old version of Adobe products. The only price you pay is the conversion to DNG format, open source of Adobe which will be compatible with all Adobe products...

By the way this is the same politics used by camera producers as Nikon and Canon. Any new camera has its own RAW format. However they do not provide a free converter...
    Last edited by kris; 7th November 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    This is something that I often hear, but it doesn't make any sense I'm afraid.

From Adobe's point of view it doesn't make any sense to invest human resource in maintaining obsolete versions when the DNG route provides a practical and free alternative. If they really wanted to "encourage" people to spend more money on their products then they wouldn't "shoot themselves in the foot" by providing the free DNG converter which allows you to open ANY supported camera (ie just about every camera ever made) in ANY version of CS.

Real Name
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post

Cheers
    A.
    Great advice,
    It was exactly what i had to do with the CR2 files from my 1100D, I installed the Canon codec but that did not work, The only way around this was to get the Adoge DNG convertor and convert the CR2 to DNG.
    I even tried downloading the Microsoft Camera codec pack which claimed to let you view the 1100D CR2 files in windows, needless to say that did not work either

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by groovesection View Post
    The only way around this was to get the Adoge DNG convertor and convert the CR2 to DNG.
    To be honest, I don't even consider this to be a "work-around" - I've been using DNG format for years - never had a single regret. Bridge pulls the images off the card - converts them to DNG - adds my metadata template - and puts them where I specify - all in less than 2 seconds per photo. I HATE working with *.CR2 files because of the pesky sidecar files.

Real Name
    Anton

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    To be honest, I don't even consider this to be a "work-around" - I've been using DNG format for years - never had a single regret. Bridge pulls the images off the card - converts them to DNG - adds my metadata template - and puts them where I specify - all in less than 2 seconds per photo. I HATE working with *.CR2 files because of the pesky sidecar files.
    Thanks Colin, I am still learning but i will certainly look in to your workflow, it sounds much easier than my current way which involves copying the CR2 files to the PC from the SDHC card, then opening Adobe DNG convertor, specifying the folder and clicking convert.
    It appears Adobe Bridge is much more useful than i ever gave it credit for
    Thanks

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by groovesection View Post
    Thanks Colin, I am still learning but i will certainly look in to your workflow, it sounds much easier than my current way which involves copying the CR2 files to the PC from the SDHC card, then opening Adobe DNG convertor, specifying the folder and clicking convert.
    It appears Adobe Bridge is much more useful than i ever gave it credit for
    Thanks
    No worries Anton. In Bridge, just click the import button to open the dialog box, and then click the advanced button to be able to see all the things I mentioned. There's a LOT of functionality built into Bridge that a lot of people don't realise.

By the way - if you select multiple files in Bridge (control click them or shift click to create a block of them) you can then open them all up in ACR in filmstrip mode. From there you can make changes to 1 image and then ripple the changes through, or you can select ALL images and adjust them ALL at once - how's that for cool?

Real Name
    Anton

That is some great info Colin, Thanks

Real Name
    Bobo

Had the same problem with CS5 when I got the 5D3. Updated ACR to 6.7 and all is now good.