Thread: Happy Children

Real Name
    Aless

Happy Children

Hi all!

This is my first post. I'm not an expert at photos but I love taking pictures.

So I'd like to see your view, suggestions..

Happy Children

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Happy Children

Hi aleilovephotos

The first thing I would suggest is to watch the edges of the frame - you have incomplete hands and feet in this image.

One of the best photographers I've come across from forums for baby/child/teenagers photography is a lady called Lisa Holloway. She has had 9 children (!) so has learned on the job!!!

The reason I bring her up is because of some photographs she has taken in a very similar setting to your family photograph above. She doesn't use fancy lighting equipment - just available light. Note what she's done with this image though:

http://500px.com/photo/11274903

In her blog she showed the first image she took with this grassy backgorund of her daughter, with a commentary and shot of the 'set' to give you an idea of what she did on location.

Try her website - it might give you some inspiration - I cannot access it at present but I'm sure it's still working as she's a busy photographer in the Arizona area of the US.

http://ljhollowayphotography.com/

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

These children remind me very much of my two youngest grandchildren - they even have poses similar to how my two are likely to behave in front of my camera. So on an emotional basis I find the photo really interesting and enjoyable. The lighting, exposure, focus and colours are fine BUT the very tight cropping and hands and feet disappearing out of the photo I find distracting to me as a photographer.

You certainly have a couple lovely looking children and if you can get them to stay still again try some more shots leaving a bit more room around them.

Real Name
    Aless

Thanks to all your amazing comments and suggestions. I loved this site.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Aless,
    I like the colours and lighting. My eye is drawn to the girls face, looking at the camera. Maybe the boy should also have looked at the camera if it was meant to be a portrait.
    Have to agree that the crop is a little tight, but I still like it.