Thread: Manila 2012

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

Manila 2012

Nice to be back home after 10months vacation.
    pentax ws80

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Manila 2012

Welcome home victor, did you post this image for a particular reason? do you want C&C?

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Welcome home victor, did you post this image for a particular reason? do you want C&C?
    Hi Mark,

Yes , please.....

( btw, twas drizzling and I was on my motorbike rushing to take this snapshot. so it has many mistakes. like tilting horizon, distortion, you name it, it has it. )

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

local club race. small cc scooters. Marikina city. Sun 11Nov2011
    Nikon D3100 @90mm

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

kang-kong farmer @ Laguna de Bay
    G11, Tue 14Nov2012

Real Name
    Mark

sorry victor for some reason i missed your reply but here's my thoughts on your images and hopefully my reply will encourage others to comment as well (normally because they dissagree with mine!)

1. Like you say victor theres a lot wrong with this image but to start with you have exposed it correctly and its in focus with a depth of field. I am at a loss as to what your trying to say withe image though, it strikes me as a holiday snap to record a memory and im sure its good for that. If you want it to be special you need a point of focus / interest, this picture doesnt draw the eye to any particular point in the image. Date/time stamps should not be on an image that you want to be special. another way to make an image special is with colour, you could have had a similar image with a glorious sunset and that would have helped it "work" The shooting angle doesnt work because of the strong yellow line in the foreground, you needed to either be square to that line or accent it to be more diagonal and use it to lead the eye somewhere in the image

2. This one has the potential to be a cracker of a shot , well done all id do is go for a square crop to remove the left hand side of the image. it appears to me that your focus point is on the center rider and the front rider looks soft, so id either focus on the front rider and use DOF shallow to keep him as the subject or id have focused with deep DOF to keep all of the riders in focus. If you wanted the center rider to be the focus point then id have either re composed or use a very shallow DOF to make the front rider more dilliberatley out of focus rather than a mistake.

3 This one could of worked had it been in focus! Nice colours, The man in the image doesnt help the composition, hes neither here or there and either needs to be more prominant in the image or out of it.

some nice tries there victor and i hope my comments help. Im sorry about my spelling the spell checker is sulking! i am sure others will be along shortly to help as well. WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    sorry victor for some reason i missed your reply but here's my thoughts on your images and hopefully my reply will encourage others to comment as well (normally because they dissagree with mine!)

1. Like you say victor theres a lot wrong with this image but to start with you have exposed it correctly and its in focus with a depth of field. I am at a loss as to what your trying to say withe image though, it strikes me as a holiday snap to record a memory and im sure its good for that. If you want it to be special you need a point of focus / interest, this picture doesnt draw the eye to any particular point in the image. Date/time stamps should not be on an image that you want to be special. another way to make an image special is with colour, you could have had a similar image with a glorious sunset and that would have helped it "work" The shooting angle doesnt work because of the strong yellow line in the foreground, you needed to either be square to that line or accent it to be more diagonal and use it to lead the eye somewhere in the image

2. This one has the potential to be a cracker of a shot , well done all id do is go for a square crop to remove the left hand side of the image. it appears to me that your focus point is on the center rider and the front rider looks soft, so id either focus on the front rider and use DOF shallow to keep him as the subject or id have focused with deep DOF to keep all of the riders in focus. If you wanted the center rider to be the focus point then id have either re composed or use a very shallow DOF to make the front rider more dilliberatley out of focus rather than a mistake.

3 This one could of worked had it been in focus! Nice colours, The man in the image doesnt help the composition, hes neither here or there and either needs to be more prominant in the image or out of it.

some nice tries there victor and i hope my comments help. Im sorry about my spelling the spell checker is sulking! i am sure others will be along shortly to help as well. WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your very informative post.

I'm now working on the matters you pointed out. Going thru the pictures and editing them.

I hope you continue to let me know my deficiencies so I can correct them

Thank you for your CnC.

Vic

--------------------

spelling mistakes? no prob. Life's too short.
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 15th November 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

your welcome Victor, Keep posting!

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Victor,

#1. "Get closer" . If you can tell me "who is the subject"....
    #2. Here, you get it. As personal taste, I will sharpen a bit more, and play abit with midtones.

Well, number three... I have hard times to put it right, but I think this requre "more to be woked", "more angles", different framing, etc.

Don't want to be "on diagonal" with my comments, but I try not to overlap Mark.
    Thanks for posting,
    Leo

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLeo View Post
    Hi Victor,

#1. "Get closer" . If you can tell me "who is the subject"....
    #2. Here, you get it. As personal taste, I will sharpen a bit more, and play abit with midtones.

Well, number three... I have hard times to put it right, but I think this requre "more to be woked", "more angles", different framing, etc.

Don't want to be "on diagonal" with my comments, but I try not to overlap Mark.
    Thanks for posting,
    Leo
    Hi Leo,
    \
    Your post is well appreciated. I am now checking out the items you enumerated so I can come up with improvements.

Thanks for your feedback
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 17th November 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

Manila 2012

Manila 2012

Manila 2012

Buko ( coconut ) juice drinking contest.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

learning how to shoot the moon.
    set everything to manual. but forgot auto-ISO which was too much @ 3200. and stretched lens to 300mm which didn't look good. Nikon D3100. 70-300mm @300mm. f/16, 1/800. EV -1.0. lr4.1

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Manila 2012

3-wheeled bazaar. 22Dec2012
    D5100. kit lens 18-55mm. editing = blurring and downsize only/Helicon Filter 5.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

'
    Manila 2012

Baguio cathedral. ( taken from Gen Luna rd.) 7Dec2013 overcast skies.
    studying unsharp masking and how to clone in Gimp2.8
    Nikon D3100. kit lens:18-55mm @18mm. Program mode. f10, 1/400, autoISO1600. autoWB. EV+0.3, matrix metering.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

My 1st Pre-Nup and Wedding ( 1 & 29Dec20120.
    Well, actually it was more of a learning experience. They had a pro crew ( 1 videographer, 1 lead photog & 2 assts.) Fortunately, the bride and the photo-crew are close acquaintances and let me take pictures.

Manila 2012

Nikon D3100. 55-200mm @55mm. Aperture mode: f/5 , 1/125, autoISO450, WB-shade. matrix metering. pp/LR4.4, gimp2.8
    1Dec2012

Manila 2012

Nikon D3100. 55-200mm @120mm. Aperture mode: f/5 , 1/125, autoISO560, WB-shade. matrix metering. pp/ViewNX2, gimp2.8
    1Dec2012

Manila 2012

I guess, that guy and lady what Bill mentioned as the "Uncle Joe and Aunty Sara with their P&S cameras." in weddings. hehehe.....
    Nikon D5100. 55-200mm @45mm. Aperture mode:f/5.3, 1/30, ISO140, autoWB, matrix metering. on board flash. pp/ViewNX2, gimp2.8
    29Dec2012

Manila 2012

Nikon D5100. 55-200mm @55mm. Aperture mode: f/5.6, 1/100, autoISO1600, autoWB, matrix metering. on board flash. SOOC, downsize via ViewNX2.
    29Dec2012
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 13th April 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    Manila 2012

3-wheeled bazaar. 22Dec2012
    D5100. kit lens 18-55mm. editing = blurring and downsize only/Helicon Filter 5.
    Hi Victor,

Was the blurring a bit of a rush job?

When I do work like this, I start with the image full screen and do the large areas with a large brush size, then I zoom into the image and reduce the brush size, so that I can accurately do the fiddly bits - and I may do this 2 or more times, getting closer in.

That avoids 'missed bits' and 'sharp halos' around the edges of the subject.

I felt your earlier melon drinking shots should have been cropped before posting - don't you?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Victor,

Was the blurring a bit of a rush job?

When I do work like this, I start with the image full screen and do the large areas with a large brush size, then I zoom into the image and reduce the brush size, so that I can accurately do the fiddly bits - and I may do this 2 or more times, getting closer in.

That avoids 'missed bits' and 'sharp halos' around the edges of the subject.

I felt your earlier melon drinking shots should have been cropped before posting - don't you?

Cheers,
    Hi Dave,

Blurring. More of lack of technique. Luckily, you gave good advice which I will do and follow.

Crop. Yes, I guess you're right. Should've cropped.

Thanks Dave. Really appreciate your advice.

Victor