Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pretty toadstools

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Pretty toadstools

    Hello all,

    today was a very grey day, but it was my day off... so, I have taken my camera and went to look around...

    Only pretty toadstools attracted my attention today... and I have uploaded them on the site in my album.

    It is my first uploaded picture and I have to say that it has lost a little bit of sharpness in comparison with the original. Could anybody please advise me - why it has happened.

    All c & c are very welcome...

    Pretty toadstools

  2. #2
    Mark von Kanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,861
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Hi Lara, nice image, well exposed and composed, id of done a little gardening first myself and removed the leaf and blades of grass that obscure the central focus of you composition (the toad stools) the leaf top right should have been tidied as well and id have cropped out a little of the for ground.

    hope that helps and that we get to see some more soon.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Thank you, Mark!

  4. #4
    Mark von Kanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,861
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    your welcome us midlanders got to stick together

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    without doubt !!!
    Last edited by WV1; 4th November 2012 at 06:44 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    With regard to loss of sharpness; this can happen sometimes during uploading depending on the methods used. But it looks a lot sharper when viewed at full screen size.

    The only thing I would have changed with this scene is to remove the leaf from the top fungi before shooting.

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,078
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Quote Originally Posted by WV1 View Post
    It is my first uploaded picture and I have to say that it has lost a little bit of sharpness in comparison with the original. Could anybody please advise me - why it has happened.
    Hi Lara,

    I'm not sure if this post will help - have a read, see if anything makes sense (perhaps give my method a try), and/or ask questions. That said, it doesn't look to bad to me either.

    In terms of C&C on your picture above ...
    If mine, I'd crop 5-10% off the top edge
    I'd also consider toning down or cloning out the two diagonal bright leaves as they 'connect' and lead the eye out of frame.
    One final suggestion, there's a bit of bright leaf (lower left) that has a very rectagular shape (I initially thought it was litter), I'd tone it down and consider taking off one of the 'square' corners with a bit of cloning, just to prevent that false perception.

    Hope that's helpful.

    Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Thank you , Jeoff !

    Will not worry at the moment about sharpness

    ... and a lesson has been learnt - will tidy a scene in future just a little bit ... if possible...


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    I carefully look around such scenes before shooting, and tidy up everything - but too often, I still miss something obvious!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Thank you very much, Dave !

    Next time - I will try to upload an image using your method...

    Dave, thank you very much for your comments... very appreciated...


  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    "I carefully look around such scenes before shooting, and tidy up everything - but too often, I still miss something obvious!"


    ))))

  12. #12
    terrib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado & Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,022
    Real Name
    Terri

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Others have already covered any constructive criticism that I had but I did want to add that I really like the composition. The diagonal feel of the mushrooms in the picture is nice. It's a good shot.

  13. #13
    MilT0s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    694
    Real Name
    Miltos

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    I hope you didn't disturb the smurf.

    Nice shot! Personally I don't mind the diagonal leaf being there but you can try toning it down. I agree with others about the top leaf, this square thing and I'd add darken (just a bit) the bright leaf near the bottom, center.

  14. #14
    Lon Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silverdale, WA; USA
    Posts
    358
    Real Name
    Lon Howard

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Lara, I'm guessing you had to downsize the image prior to uploading. It ended up at 700 pixels on the long side and if it started out at double or more than that, then it would probably go a little soft as a result of losing those pixels. Just resharpen a tad (doesn't take much) before the upload.

    Edit: Check out post #6 in this thread: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    Last edited by Lon Howard; 4th November 2012 at 10:19 PM.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Others have already covered any constructive criticism that I had but I did want to add that I really like the composition. The diagonal feel of the mushrooms in the picture is nice. It's a good shot.
    Thank you, Terri for looking at my picture and commenting...

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    I hope you didn't disturb the smurf.

    Nice shot! Personally I don't mind the diagonal leaf being there but you can try toning it down. I agree with others about the top leaf, this square thing and I'd add darken (just a bit) the bright leaf near the bottom, center.
    Thank you Miltos...

    You know, I wanted to move the top leaf, but decided ( obviously incorrectly ) to leave it as it was...

    To my shame ... I have not noticed the square thing - I will try to look out for the rubbish next time...

    Thank you very much for comments ...

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    the Midlands, UK
    Posts
    44
    Real Name
    Lara

    Re: Pretty toadstools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Lara, I'm guessing you had to downsize the image prior to uploading. It ended up at 700 pixels on the long side and if it started out at double or more than that, then it would probably go a little soft as a result of losing those pixels. Just resharpen a tad (doesn't take much) before the upload.

    Edit: Check out post #6 in this thread: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    You are right, Lon... I have downsized the image...

    Thank you very much for your advice...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •