Thread: Dragonfly

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Dragonfly

This is my favourite shot of a dragonfly. I took this earlier this year. Critique welcome! I trust everyone here is honest.

Shutter: 1/250
    Aperture: 8.0
    ISO: 400
    Lens: 50mm Prime
    Camera: Sony Alpha 330
    Exif data: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwmanni...in/photostream

Dragonfly

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Dragonfly

Honest - when you have filled me with envy over the great lighting and detail you have captured - you expect far to much of me. I am only human.
    Has it been cropped a lot? I am a bit surprised at the depth of field that f8 has given you. How far away were you?

Real Name
    Jim Manning

I was chasing them at a park using my 50 mm prime. This one didn't see me approaching and I got pretty close, but yes, this is cropped. I'd say only about 40% cropped.

Real Name
    Paul

Well Jim it is a very good shot and you will get into far less trouble chasing a dragonfly in the park than chasing women in the park. (I confess I don't know from personal experience)

Real Name
    Bobo

Very good detailed shot. Bit dark but that is ok if that is what it takes to get the nice looking dots of light show up around the edges.

As for chasing, there is no real need to do that. Find your landed dragon and walk up. It will take off but will return to the vicinity or the same twig. Avoid cool or windy days.

I too am surprised at the f8 DOF and shooting with a 50mm at that. Camera/lens thing?

Real Name
    Jim Manning

I'm not sure I understand why DOF is a concern. This was taken when the dragonfly was on a twig, which stood a great distance from the background, which would cause the DOF I demonstrate in the photo.

Real Name
    Terri

That is a nice shot. I like the reflection you got in the wings.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by binsurf View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why DOF is a concern. This was taken when the dragonfly was on a twig, which stood a great distance from the background, which would cause the DOF I demonstrate in the photo.
    Hi Jim,

Normally the DoF problem relates to one end or other of the subject being more out of focus than ideal, not so much the background - unless someone uses a bridge camera with a small sensor, which tends to give too much DoF.

Here; the reasonably sized and well sharpened image avoids all these issues.

By the way, I think this is the first time I have replied to you, so welcome to the CiC forums from me.

I'd be very pleased to have taken that, well done,

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by binsurf View Post
    I am such a coward I tend to use my lens at 300mm in the macro setting for any type of violent insect or flower. DOF is all ways something I need to worry about when using it. I see I just need to harden up, use a shorter focal length and try and not tremble to much.

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Dave, thank you for the welcome! It's been great so far on here! So much amazing feedback. I love how honest and detailed everyone is in here and aren't afraid to tell it like it is. You can't grow as a photographer if no one tells you the truth. And I haven't an ego too large to take it!

f8 in a 50mm lens provides sufficient DOF at the right distance, so I was able to get the whole bug in it. It's my lens's sweetspot. I love doing portraits with it in f8 on a sunny day. If you check out my website (facebook page, technically), you'll see some portraits on there where I used it that way.

http://www.facebook.com/jwmphotography

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I am such a coward I tend to use my lens at 300mm in the macro setting for any type of violent insect or flower. DOF is all ways something I need to worry about when using it. I see I just need to harden up, use a shorter focal length and try and not tremble to much.
    I highly recommend it. You should never be afraid to experiment. The one amazing thing about digital photography is its disposability.

Real Name
    Paul

Are you saying I need to get over my fear of being disposed of by an insect or flower? - I would have preferred a more reassuring comment than experimenting with my life.

Actually it is just habit so I will make sure that the size of what I am taking does require that the 300mm macro lock be used before I set it as it definitely reduces the DOF available.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 5th November 2012 at 01:14 AM.

Real Name
    Jim Manning

No, I was saying that it's easy to experiment with digital because you can take as many shots to practice as you want and delete what you don't like. Though purists would disagree with that practice.