Thread: Nothing special Just a bird in the backyard

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Nothing special Just a bird in the backyard

The quality of posts here are now getting just so darn great one becomes rather hesitant to post one's efforts. But I thought the setting around the bird was not too bad. I am not a great lover of overly tight crops and wanted to maintain a fair amount of the bird's surrounds of the brush wattle as background to its interaction with its surrounds rather than just a close up of the Eastern Rosella; which would to me then become just another bird shot.
    It was a hand held shot with a 300mm lens, 300mm focal length, ISO on automatic ( =125) 1/20 and f/5.6 according to file download data. Raw data capture and processed in ACR.
    Thanks for viewing and any cc would be most gratefully received.

Nothing special Just a bird in the backyard

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Re: Nothing special Just a bird in the backyard

I do not claim to be a good photographer, and my critique is by no means a claim of the best way to do this, but here are my thoughts;

I like what you did with the shot. The bird's colours should be the center of the image, philosophically, not physically. Also, the bush is making the bird feel insignificant. While I agree, it would end up being just another bird, this one is pretty enough and unique enough, that it should stand out on its own. I think an 80% crop with the bird either centered, or rule of thirds positioned (probably bottom right), would improve the shot. I'm from Canada, so we don't have beautiful birds like this here.

Photography is so subjective, that you may agree or disagree with my assessment, and I respect that either way. But, I do want to say I appreciate your photo.

Real Name
    Bryan

I do appreciate the desire for context. The bird is so distinct from the surroundings that the wide crop can work. Although the bird looks a little soft in the lightbox, I recently shot with a 300 prime and can appreciate how heavy it is and difficult to hand hold.

I'm jealous of the subjects you have. I am always amazed at what is common in one place is so exotic in the next.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you for your most intuitive and nice feedback comments Jim and Bryan. Much appreciated. These birds are pretty flighty and off in a flash. So it is hard to get up close. Jim, the problem I would have with heavier cropping of this particular post would be that it would then suffer badly from noise. Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. Good point about hand held on zoom problems Bryan. You are jealous of our bird life? Well I am equally jealous of your relative youthful strength! How much harder do you reckon it is to hold steady for an old fossil like me ( be 74 next month, if I last that long, ) with everything failing at its current rate! )

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Ken,

Is it really accurate in your post that you shot this using a shutter speed of 1/20? Even at 1/200 without any image stabilization I would admire your handheld technique despite that the image is soft.

Real Name
    Bobo

All one needs is one eye and one other body part capable of pushing the shutter.

Back home I sometimes see people with this or that part missing or not working still enjoying their photography. So you my friend have long way to go.

Nice colourful bird there, I would just suggest a slight crop to bring it more to the right.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    All one needs is one eye and one other body part capable of pushing the shutter.

Back home I sometimes see people with this or that part missing or not working still enjoying their photography. So you my friend have long way to go.
    Thanks for that Bobo. Now I am really depressed, especially by the last sentence! How much longer?
    Last edited by ucci; 4th November 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Ken,

Is it really accurate in your post that you shot this using a shutter speed of 1/20? Even at 1/200 without any image stabilization I would admire your handheld technique despite that the image is soft.
    I copied down the figures from Adobe Bridge meta file. But I agree with you about the 1/200s. I don't think I have ever taken anything at slower than 1/50th sec, especially with a zoom lens racked fully out.
    Crikey under those extended lens conditions I can barely lift the bloody camera, let alone keep it steady!

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Thanks for that Bobo. Now I am really depressed, especially by the last sentence! How much longer?
    You failed to mention being uplifted by the first 2..

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ken, given the fact that you wanted a wide cropping, I think you have achieved your goals. Under the circumstances you describe, it is a fine image indeed. I would consider cloning out or blending into the background the purple pole that is right behind the Rosella.

I understand that most Eastern Rosellas are right footed, that is they balance on their left foot and hold their food in the right foot?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    . I would consider cloning out or blending into the background the purple pole that is right behind the Rosella.

I understand that most Eastern Rosellas are right footed, that is they balance on their left foot and hold their food in the right foot?
    Excellent suggestion, thank you Frank. Didn't really notice it until you pointed it out. Now of course every time I look at the pix it is the first thing that I see. I should have been more observantly critical before posting. Well spotted Sir!
    Don't know about the feeding foot of rosellas. Only time I have seen them feeding is when they were on the ground and standing on both feet. Need to follow this up and get back to you if I do find out anything re this.
    K

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Didn't really notice it until you pointed it out.
    It's often easier to notice something in an image that you haven't previously worked with so hopefully you'll be able to return the favor on some of my images!