Thread: Caterpillar macro

Real Name
    Matthew

Caterpillar macro

Another insect macro. I was excited to find this cute little guy crawling on this plant stem (au natural, not posed!) And even better, the sun was setting and the warm rays were lighting it up, combined with a nice distant background. I'm not sure if it bothers me that the bottom of the caterpillar is out of focus a little, but I like that the plant stem is out of focus because it flows out of the frame nicely, maintaining the subject as the prominent element. C&C greatly appreciated.

Virginian Tiger Moth Caterpillar (Spilosoma virginica) aka Yellow Woolly Bear

Canon 30D, 150mm Sigma macro lens, 1/90s @ f/ 3.5, ISO 100. Minor cropping to enlarge subject and to exclude a distracting element on plant stem. P.s. After posting, I noticed that the sharpness, clarity, and colors are not as good as they were in Lightroom.
    Caterpillar macro

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Caterpillar macro

Excellent Matt. Just excellent.

You have a amazing background and supplementary color contrast. And a fantastic yucky texture .

Perhaps the image is a bit dark but still wonderful.

Real Name
    Bobo

Wonderful shot.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you both for your feedback. Miltos, I like the quote in your signature!