Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: London from Primrose Hill

Real Name
    Tommy

London from Primrose Hill

A couple of nights ago there was a beautiful sunset, where the sun found a hole in the clouds and lit up the whole of London in bright red. I know this because, when I was there last night, hoping for similar, a man showed me a pic he took on his iPhone. I also saw the sun from where I live, but did not have the time to get to this vantage spot up at the top of Primrose Hill.

However, I still took some panos yesterday evening, more for practice than anything. SO that when the conditions are perfect I should be able to get something usable.

I would appreciate your comments on this in terms of composition etc so that I know what to do next time I am there.

This is a 6 shot vertical pano stitched in CS6.

London from Primrose Hill

Nikon D90 | 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 35mm | f/14 | 1/4 | ISO 200 | Tripod

Many thanks for viewing, and please view full

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: London from Primrose Hill

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    However, I still took some panos yesterday evening, more for practice than anything. SO that when the conditions are perfect I should be able to get something usable.
    Tommy - My question (with which you and others may disagree) is to ask if there's enough interest in the skyline at each side? The central section of the image is packed full of interest with the buildings of the city. But once you go right of the (is that the Post Office Tower?), there is not a lot of interest. The same applies once you get into the left-hand third of the frame.

But maybe you wanted to show that effect of the skyscraper-dominated central area giving way to a more gentle looking cityscape.

I accept that with a humdinger of a sunset behind it, it may well change the whole scene and that absence of structural interest would not be relevant.

Just a thought in terms of composition.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

It's a nice image Tommy, especially when viewed full size on a 24" monitor. I like the green fields and autumn tree colours. The subtle colours in the clouds are also nice, albeit not what you were after. Technically the stitching of the pano has worked very well too.

The city buildings, in my humble opinion, are not dominant enough to have much impact on the image. They seem almost incidental. But I don't know that there's much you can do about that from that vantage point.

I think if you have the good fortune to capture that sky you were after it would look great.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Though you were looking for a magnificent sky and didn't achieve your goals, I still rate this a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    My question...is to ask if there's enough interest in the skyline at each side?
    Ironically, I like the sides of the skyline because of the lack of interest. The interest in the middle area draws my eye. In fact, I wish the building that rises above the others on the left wasn't there, as it's slightly distracting.

Real Name
    Steve

It is a great spot; sunset would be really nice, and I think 70mm just because things will be bunched together. What is amazing is this is close to central London. Cheers Tommy

Real Name
    Tommy

Thank you for your comments, gentlemen.

I think we are very lucky in London to have so many parks and green spaces throughout the city. I wanted to convey this in my photo, to have the commercial centre sprouting from the green space around it.

I think you're right in that I need a "humdinger of a sunset" (to use Donald's words) to really pick out the skyline and highlight it a bit more. I will keep going as it is only a few minutes fromn where I live

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Tommy one of my daughters used to live in Hamstead South near the Swiss Cottage tube station. I remember going for a walk around the Primrose Hill area. I seem to remember that there were some magnificent houses behind the reserve. Very nice area.

Dave