Real Name
    randy

More *@#%# Cranes from Mn

Cranes gone Wild

Many Cranes (5100 at last count)

Why I crop - They are constantly watching!!
    Last edited by rtbaum; 31st October 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: More *@#%# Cranes from Mn

Judging by the thread title they must be annoying.

Real Name
    randy

Re: More *@#%# Cranes from Mn

No.... not annoying.....just becoming something of an obsession!!!! Their eyes are evidently VERY sharp and they are ALWAYS on alert. Apparently they care not a whit about vehicles flying by, but as soon as a vehicle slows and stops, every eye is on you! I wait about 5 minutes before moving to start shooting, can't setup tripod, because as soon as you open a door or window they will be gone on the wind. Kind of a PITA with a 640 equivalent lens without stabilization! I have fashioned some stabilization with a length of pipe insulation fitted over window or door of vehicle to help damp vibration. Couple all above with the fact that I am still learning to work with my setup; I am still experimenting with finding the correct combination of iso, aperture, and shutter speed to achieve sharp focus with shallow depth of field with no noise when cropped fairly heavily because I just cannot get closer than 50 yards. I am currently thinking that iso 800 or lower is the best, f/5.6 gives best dof, something in the neighborhood of 1/800 sec for shutter speed.