Thread: A Dreary Day at Cap Blanc Nez

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

A Dreary Day at Cap Blanc Nez

A Dreary Day at Cap Blanc Nez

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: A Dreary Day at Cap Blanc Nez

Looks like a magnificent place to go and photograph, Mike.

I very much like the composition although I'm not sure I wouldn't crop the top 10% to bring the horizon in line with the top 1/3 of the frame. Somewhere just above the beginning of the dark area of cloud on the right hand side.

My only concern with it is the distinct haloing (if that's a word) along the foreground cliff edge. I'm sure you could sort that out though.

I think on a really aggressively stormy day this would be a corker. Especially if you could time it to get the tide at roughly the same point. Those sand banks look excellent.

Thanks for posting

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Looks like a magnificent place to go and photograph, Mike.

I very much like the composition although I'm not sure I wouldn't crop the top 10% to bring the horizon in line with the top 1/3 of the frame. Somewhere just above the beginning of the dark area of cloud on the right hand side.

My only concern with it is the distinct haloing (if that's a word) along the foreground cliff edge. I'm sure you could sort that out though.

I think on a really aggressively stormy day this would be a corker. Especially if you could time it to get the tide at roughly the same point. Those sand banks look excellent.

Thanks for posting
    I toyed with the crop but left it in the end because I wanted the darker clouds to give a balance to the grass, but I could probably still achieve that by taking a bit off the top.
    I've no idea where the 'halo' comes from as I haven't done any localised editing that would introduce it. Maybe it's just the natural contrast between the cliff edge and the beach below. I can see what you mean though.
    I'll maybe call in again when I'm next in France and it's stormy, particularly as it's only a few minutes from the Shuttle Terminal.
    Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Tommy

For some stupid reason I thought this was taken on the south coast somewhere. I guess it's not as convenient a place for you to go as I thought!

I take your point on the haloing. This has happened to me before, where it looks like the halo is as a result of the PP'ing, but in fact is not. Strange, eh? Maybe you can tone it down a bit with the burn tool?

It really is a beautiful spot!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I've never seen a beach like this, so thanks for sharing your image.

The halo being discussed doesn't have to be the result of local editing; global sharpening can produce a similar result. Even so, I'm not convinced this situation is caused by sharpening.

If it is being caused by global sharpening, there are two solutions that you're probably already aware of. One solution is to sharpen everything except the cliff line. That's the preferred solution. If you no longer have the original and can't do that, the other solution is to apply a small amount of Gaussian blur using a tiny brush that selects only the edge of the cliff. That method will probably suffice when viewing small images such as those displayed on the Internet or on a television, but probably not when making a large print.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I've never seen a beach like this, so thanks for sharing your image.

The halo being discussed doesn't have to be the result of local editing; global sharpening can produce a similar result. Even so, I'm not convinced this situation is caused by sharpening.

If it is being caused by global sharpening, there are two solutions that you're probably already aware of. One solution is to sharpen everything except the cliff line. That's the preferred solution. If you no longer have the original and can't do that, the other solution is to apply a small amount of Gaussian blur using a tiny brush that selects only the edge of the cliff. That method will probably suffice when viewing small images such as those displayed on the Internet or on a television, but probably not when making a large print.
    Good ideas. Thanks.
    I have actually done a little pixel peeping and the apparent 'halo' is in fact a natural feature. All along the edge of the cliff there are a myriad of indentations formed by erosion where the dark layer of topsoil is exposed. There is also a line of gorse bushes along much of the cliff edge. Together they create the illusion. Misleading, but annoying, in that it gives the wrong impression, so probably worth a little 'treatment' as suggested!!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Very interesting topography Mike. I don't recall ever seeing this kind of a scene. It looks like it would be well worth exploring for different from view points, weather, lighting, etc.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Very interesting topography Mike. I don't recall ever seeing this kind of a scene. It looks like it would be well worth exploring for different from view points, weather, lighting, etc.
    This is the part of the French coast where the allies were thought to be landing in WW2. Just outside Calais.

Real Name
    Harry

Great pic Mike

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Mike - You have beautifully captured and conveyed the scale of the thing. How you've presented it is just right to show off that amazing pattern created on the beach. Great to see an image from France from you again.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Great to see an image from France from you again.
    Thanks Donald.
    I remembered to take my camera this time, although my primary reason for going was to pick up my wine from Burgundy. I took the round about route though via Luxembourg and Lake Annecy, as one might!!
    Might have to wait until after Christmas before I go back again ..... Shame.