Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Women of Arnhem Land

  1. #1
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Women of Arnhem Land

    I took this for a marketing shot for this mother and daughter when assisting them to start a tourism business. I cropped it like this to fit in the header of a web page and quiet liked the tight crop. Since then it has been used in a couple of publications. It seems to highlight the eyes being so tight. C&C always welcome.
    Women of Arnhem Land

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    17,916

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    I'm glad to know that it's not just me who likes tight crops. You and they really nailed this image. Absolutely wonderful!

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,718
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    I'd agree. It is a very powerful image

  4. #4
    tilde531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DelMarVa Peninsula, USA
    Posts
    60
    Real Name
    Theresa

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Lots of character in those faces... their souls show in the eyes.
    Additionally, for me... it's the comparison of the elder with the younger.
    The elder's eyes show what she's been through; the younger's eyes... the hope of what is to come.

    The choice of subject matter is perfect. It's not a wonder that this shot has been picked up by other publications.
    Nicely done!

  5. #5
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm glad to know that it's not just me who likes tight crops. You and they really nailed this image. Absolutely wonderful!
    Thanks Mike, I feel lucky to meet so many interesting people in my work. Glad you like it.

  6. #6
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd agree. It is a very powerful image
    Thanks Donald

  7. #7
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by tilde531 View Post
    Lots of character in those faces... their souls show in the eyes.
    Additionally, for me... it's the comparison of the elder with the younger.
    The elder's eyes show what she's been through; the younger's eyes... the hope of what is to come.

    The choice of subject matter is perfect. It's not a wonder that this shot has been picked up by other publications.
    Nicely done!
    Thanks Theresa, interesting comment regarding their eyes and their story. It's always nice to capture that when you can and it is usually done by getting up close with a zoom. Great feedback.

  8. #8
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Well done Wayne.

  9. #9
    kdoc856's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,959
    Real Name
    Kevin

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Wayne,

    You have done some excellent work with your Arnhem series. It is clear you have a real attachment to these people, and they to you. Thanks for sharing these.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    Real Name
    Griddi

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Thank you Wayne to show these meaningful faces of the women up north......

    I have been up there several times too, but had no luck that I could take photo's of them, they really must like you very much.

    Griddi......

  11. #11
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Thank you all, I have met and made strong friendships with so many people in the bush. Aboriginals up here are traditional so knowing their culture is important and knowing the bush earns instant respect. I find that a long lens is a good idea for anyone who who you don't know well though as you can give them some space and not be too intrusive. A lot of my people shots are taken at at least 200mm. If I know them well I will use my 100mm or my 50mm. Glad you all enjoy them as much as I enjoy taking them.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    Real Name
    Griddi

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Wayne..... I only could take photo's of Aboriginals after I agreed to pay them, it was only once that I found in Wyndham a Aboriginal Grandmother with her 6 Grandchildren who was happy to pose for photo's, she was a special lady, and we had a long conversation about their way of live.......

    Griddi.......

  13. #13
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Wayne..... I only could take photo's of Aboriginals after I agreed to pay them, it was only once that I found in Wyndham a Aboriginal Grandmother with her 6 Grandchildren who was happy to pose for photo's, she was a special lady, and we had a long conversation about their way of live.......

    Griddi.......
    Hi Griddi,
    I think its the same for any people. If they are comfortable with being photograph then its fine. I am able to repay the favour by having copies in retrospect and can reproduce the photo's 20 years later when they have none for themselves. I have recently printed a series of photos for a friend who was 11 when I took them. He is now 24 and his father has died since. He and his sister were so grateful because they had no pictures of their father or their own youth. Here's a picture that that same boy took of his dad and I on a safari to see his fathers initiation site. We were gone for 12 days and when I got back the newspaper had the terrible September 11 images on the front. I treasure this shot as this man was a wonderful friend. Women of Arnhem Land

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    Real Name
    Griddi

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Hi Griddi,
    I think its the same for any people. If they are comfortable with being photograph then its fine. I am able to repay the favour by having copies in retrospect and can reproduce the photo's 20 years later when they have none for themselves. I have recently printed a series of photos for a friend who was 11 when I took them. He is now 24 and his father has died since. He and his sister were so grateful because they had no pictures of their father or their own youth. Here's a picture that that same boy took of his dad and I on a safari to see his fathers initiation site. We were gone for 12 days and when I got back the newspaper had the terrible September 11 images on the front. I treasure this shot as this man was a wonderful friend. Women of Arnhem Land
    Hi Wayne,
    thank you for your little story, I think one can make good friends with Aborigines, as they will feel if a person is genuine, you are lucky you live much closer in distance to them, as I do here from Adelaide, although when up north we roaming around for a good 3 months, I just love the outback, many people I know here, say, it is boring, but never for me, even the long drive up north is never boring for me, the colors, the night sky...... aaah I start to dream.......

    Here is a photo with the Grandmother and her 6 Grandchildren.......

    Women of Arnhem Land

  15. #15
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    thank you for your little story, I think one can make good friends with Aborigines, as they will feel if a person is genuine, you are lucky you live much closer in distance to them, as I do here from Adelaide, although when up north we roaming around for a good 3 months, I just love the outback, many people I know here, say, it is boring, but never for me, even the long drive up north is never boring for me, the colors, the night sky...... aaah I start to dream.......

    Here is a photo with the Grandmother and her 6 Grandchildren.......

    Women of Arnhem Land
    Nice Griddi, it looks like you should move up here. Plenty of room thats for sure. The folks seem very happy to see you.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    Real Name
    Griddi

    Re: Women of Arnhem Land

    Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Nice Griddi, it looks like you should move up here. Plenty of room thats for sure. The folks seem very happy to see you.
    Naaaah, the only other places I would live,apart from Adelaide, are Darwin or Perth.........

    Griddi.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •