Real Name
    Griddi

Little Bud......

Little Bud......

C&C please.....

Griddi......

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Little Bud......

Very nice, Griddi. Perfect depth of field and detail in the blossom. Consider changing the color in the top right area to the same green as the rest of the background.

Real Name
    Trace

That's lovely! Agree with all of what Mike said... maybe also try a little noise reduction too. But I really like the composition, dof and focus you've selected.

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Very nice, Griddi. Perfect depth of field and detail in the blossom. Consider changing the color in the top right area to the same green as the rest of the background.
    Thank you Mike, I would consider to change the color, but I would not know how, also I have only a very basic PP on my computer.......

Griddi......

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoByTrace View Post
    That's lovely! Agree with all of what Mike said... maybe also try a little noise reduction too. But I really like the composition, dof and focus you've selected.
    Hi Trace

Thank you too you for looking and reply......
    As I already replied to Mike, I do not know how to change the top right color, but I will try apply a bit of noise reduction.......

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Sharon

I don't know either but am sure Mike will enlighten us..!

Beautiful focus and colour

I'll provide generic instructions that will work using any software that has a color picker. The color picker is usually an eye dropper icon. You use it to pick a color, either picking a color from the image or a color from a panel in the software that displays all colors.

Step 1: Use the color picker to select a color.
    Step 2: Select the area that you want to change.
    Step 3. Fill that selection with the selected color.

If you folks would indicate the software that you are using, it's likely that someone will be able to provide more precise instructions that apply to your software. Ironically, the software that I use involves a process that is slightly different. If anyone wants to know how to do it using Nikon Capture NX2, just ask.

Sharon, knowing how creative you are, you would be able to use the color picker very much to your advantage. I encourage you to learn how to use it. The process is very simple once you know the few steps that are required.

Real Name
    Sharon

It is probably worth saying that getting the background you want 'in camera' is the ideal and always looks more natural than fixing it afterwards

That old adage about choosing your background really does pay dividends.... not always possible though .

Mike...I'll check a few videos out but you know me and Elements 8..not a marriage made in heaven.

Real Name
    Griddi

Thank you Sharon.

Griddi.....

Real Name
    Griddi

Hi Mike

I use for PP mostly " Infan View " and something software which came with my Olympus camera,there is sort of a color picker, and one can also select different color's, I tried this, but I simple can not match, in this instance, the same green color of the photo's background, because of this the photo just looks horrible " patched up "

Griddi......

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Griddi, I've held off commenting on this image knowing that post processing would be involved in making it marginally better but the bottom line is that this is one very fine image and it would have been IMHO, difficult to improve in-camera. You deserve a hearty pat on the back.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 31st October 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Griddi,

Frank is right that you deserve a hearty pat on the back for several reasons. It's good that you tried to use a color picker. You at least now understand the concept and may be able to use it to your advantage in other situations where smaller areas of the image need a tweak or two. It would certainly be easier to do that in such a situation than in this one.

There are other methods you could use to change the background. One is to use the cloning tool. Another one is to create a second layer, move the background from the left over to the right, and then flatten the layers into one layer. Whatever method you use in a particular situation, it takes practice.

Sharon,

There's no question that getting the background as desired in the capture is ideal. I was thinking that you could use the color picker to do some really creative stuff akin to your use of textures and all the other things that you do so well.

Real Name
    Griddi

Hi Frank and Mike.....thanks again !

Mike, I looked up " Nikon Capture NX2 " could be interesting to use it, but does it work also for other camera's brand's ?

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Lon Howard

I tried cloning and smudging ... messy and tedious but fun.

Little Bud......

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Well done, improves the impact!

Real Name
    Trace

Good job... that really helps focus the eye in on the bud!

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    I tried cloning and smudging ... messy and tedious but fun.

Little Bud......
    WOW Lon, it looks now sooooo nice
    Big Thank you for your work !!!!!
    I have saved the new look photo......

Griddi......

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Thanks Griddi, with a lot of trial and error (or just plain effort if you totally understand how the tools work, which I don't), you can probably eliminate the little seam lines that are still visible. Even with that, the transitions still would not look 100% coherent.

Real Name
    Bobo

It is a beautiful image in its own right and Mike's suggestion would make it a standout shot. The edit does that very well.

However, Sharon is right about getting it right in camera.

Now that is the difficult part. Here you read the light very well and used it to advantage. But the same flower with a nice green background may have needed a different angle and losing the light. Tough/difficult decision.

Very nice work, Lon! That's the exact look that I was thinking of. I would never have known that the image wasn't captured as in your version. It was very nice of you to take the time to show Griddi the sort of thing that can be done once we take the time to get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast