Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Short road trip to Glacier N.P.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Short road trip to Glacier N.P.

I did a one day drive-through Glacier N.P. in Montana in May. It rained constantly and I got just one image I wanted to keep (#2). Kerry posted some from there last Month and shared some info with me and that inspired me to go back early this month - many thanks! The weather was only slightly better I would say but at least I had some destinations in mind and that helped. This is what I have so far. I'm notoriously slow at PP but hope to have a few more after a while. Thanks for viewing and I'm ready to listen to any suggestions.

Lake McDonald At Sunset:

From West Side of Going To The Sun Road:

Lake Sherburne, Many Glacier Area:

Many Glacier Hotel (boarded up and closed for the season):

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Short road trip to Glacier N.P.

I mentioned in your other thread where you were trying to figure out how to upload images how nice the first one is. I like the second one just as much. I hope everyone views them in the large version.

Real Name
    Steve

The first is my favorite of the group. Nice job on these , lon.

Real Name
    Terri

Lon, I also love the first and second photos. I especially like how you placed the grass in the foreground on the second image.

I really love the colors in the third photo but I think what's throwing me is that the shoreline cuts it in half. I think it would be more pleasing if the shoreline was at a different angle.

On the last one, I also think a different perspective would be more pleasing. Either if there was some space between the roof of the buildings and the opposite shore or alternatively if you were lower and the roofs were above the shoreline.

I don't in any way consider myself advanced but still wanted to share how I saw the last two photos. I could very well be totally off base.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Terri, I appreciate your comments and you are definitely not off base. The last two images I thought of as snapshots; for #3 I wanted the folks back home to know that there were indeed fall colors at Glacier. As for #4, well I have my own little way of correcting for white balance; it involves getting the tonality of rocks to look right to me (whether I succeeded or not, well that's another subject ... ). I forgot to consider that having done that, I could very easily crop them out of the frame if needed; and that's what I should have done.

I actually have another image taken from the same spot as #3 but without the foliage, and #4 is easy to correct (it also needs straightening I think), but since I'm in chill mode now (i.e., watching World Series), it will wait till tomorrow. Thank you again!

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Lon. All are nice but the first two are my favorite.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Thanks again to Terri for her critiques. Here's a redo of #3 and #4. Too bad she's retired or I would hire her.

Different image from same spot

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Hi Lon, you're making me want to go back! Great set of photos! I agree with the other folks, one and two are excellent! I also like the last perspective of Many Glacier Lodge. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Beautiful set of images! I hope to go there one day..

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Kdfrank View Post
    I also like the last perspective of Many Glacier Lodge.
    Terri gets the credit there for alerting me! I'm glad she spoke up.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Lon,

Very nice set. I like your last crops, especially the resort. The first one appeared to me to be a little off level, but the second crop seems to be better on that. Maybe it’s just that my head is on crooked!

The first shot I found especially interesting. In my feeble musings I thought that scene would make a great candidate for a ND filter and a longer exposure to “mist” up the water some. Stack that exposure with your existing exposure and bring up the lake from the long exposure. Of course, you would probably lose the bottom of the lake peeking up through the water in the foreground, which is one aspect I really like.

Anyway, just me off skylarking again!

Great set, Lon!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 4th November 2012 at 11:53 AM.