Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Capitol in early morning sun

Capitol in early morning sun

While walking around the Capitol early Tuesday morning, I found this spot and thought the Capitol was nicely framed so I captured it.
    Capitol in early morning sun

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Capitol in early morning sun

Nice shot Don. I like the composition. Sometimes even great buildings can look a little un-interesting if they are just shot front on with nothing else in frame.

A couple of suggestions

I would use the Shadows/Highlights adjustment in PS to reduce the Highlights by about 20%. I feel the sky is a bit bright and reducing the highlights will give some more detail in the clouds and a bit more contrast on the building details.

When I first looked at this image on the web it looked fine. Then I saved it and looked at it in Faststone viewer and the colour looked terrible. I then opened it in PS and it looked fine but I noticed the jpeg has a colour space of ProPhoto RGB assigned to it. I think this is a bit dangerous for general use on the web etc and suggest that you might consider assigning an sRGB colour profile to it.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice exposure and use of the trees on the left to frame the building.

Good suggestions by Dave. Also consider cropping to eliminate the large tree on the right. Doing so will move the capitol over to the right side, which is less static than having it in the center.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 29th October 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks, I forgot to change to sRGB before posting. I was in too much of rush to post this photo. Thanks again, I work on the sky as you suggested.