Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Is the Model always right?

Real Name
    Kay

Is the Model always right?

I shared the first picture with my facebook friends, only to find the Model thought this was a terrible photo of her & wanted it changed... the second took its place... I would be interested in other's opinions.

Re: Is the Model always right?

No the model isn't always right, but in this case I do agree with her. Ultimately what is right is what you envisioned for the image. The model may or may not like your vision but that is just their opinion.

My opinion is that the second image is better. The first one looks like the model is leaning over like the tower of Pisa, her smile looks less natural than the second picture and, it also appears that her right eye doesn't open as wide as her left eye. This isn't too much of a problem in image two because both eyes are about the same distance from the lens. However, in image one she is at an angle which puts her right eye further from the lens and exaggerates the difference so it is far more noticeable.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Kay,

What I can say is that - in reality - young "models" such as Georgie quite commonly have "violent" reactions to photo we feel look perfectly normal (in fact I'd say it's almost the norm).

I can be flicking through a set with them - suggest one that I like - only to be rebuffed with an "OMG are you kidding me? I LOOK PREGNANT".

"Hyper-Sensitive" is a word that comes to mind. Don't worry about it - it's not you

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Kay it's not a question of whether the model is always right but whether your kids think they are always right. And we both know the answer to that don't we

In this case I think she is partly right - I don't agree that the first looks terrible but I do think the second is better.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

When it's your 20 year-old daughter I suspect the question, in her mind, is, in itself, non-sensical - OF COURSE SHE'S ALWAYS RIGHT. HOW COULD YOU EVEN DOUBT THAT?

On the other hand, you can always be comfortable in the knowledge that the day will come when there will be a slow and gradual realisation that maybe she wasn't always right.

It does feel as if the smile is a bit forced in that first one and I do think the second is a stronger image.
    Last edited by Donald; 28th October 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    John

Some people, myself included, feel that they are more photogenic when facing the camera a certain way.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I shared the first picture with my facebook friends, only to find the Model thought this was a terrible photo of her & wanted it changed... the second took its place... I would be interested in other's opinions.
    Every model is not always right, but in this case this model is correct.

I would be more interested in why you disagreed with her.

Real Name
    Steve

The model is never right. You have to keep talking talking probably nonsense but but you can't let them take over. I was thinking a very long time 40 years ago what I remember and they all know how to take photographs. Who is paying gets to make the photo's. Don't ask me to do it now though.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

depends.................

( altho, I like both pictures..)

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

As the photographer you know what you are trying to achieve. BUT I do prefer the models choice because the lighting is a bit more even on her face and it avoids the lack of detail in the black skirt.

Real Name
    Anton

Photography (like Art & Music) is highly subjective, You can adhere to the fundamentals (rule of thirds etc) but the final image produced will always be subjective.
    There is no "right" photograph.
    That said i do personally prefer picture 2, I think picture 1 is nicely shot but her shoulder line is dominant (to my eyes) and rather distracting.
    Anyway, i digress. she is a very beautiful model and imho she has the perfect face to pull off the enigmatic / no smile pose which i personally like.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou everyone for your comments & suggestions.
    I think I was surprised by the strength of her reaction to #1, I agree when viewed together #2 is probably more pleasing, but wow she really disliked #1.
    I chose to share it because it was different, the minute I get the camera out it seems she puts on her 'photo face' & that's that.
    Oh well, I am least grateful that the outfit met with Mums approval! I really don't like strapless dresses.
    I don't think they flatter anyone really, so I will be thankful that Miss 20 & I had that little agreement, & I'll celebrate that
    Thankyou again for commenting.

Real Name
    Ole Henriksen

There's another aspect to this question: Is the photographer always right? The answer to both questions, of course, is no.

In this case I agree with the model, and the majority here, that the second picture is best. Partly because of the composition, but to me mainly because of what seems like an unnatural smile, almost smirk, in the first picture.

It looks like one of those poses that have been held for just a little too long. The second, on the other hand, looks like the model is caught on the cusp of something interesting - a smile, a comment, something is bubbling up inside her. Well done.
    Last edited by oleleclos; 31st October 2012 at 11:41 PM.