Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: D800 High ISO

Real Name
    Jeff

D800 High ISO

Following on from Phil's post here's Am at ISO 8063, no PP whatsoever, Jpeg straight out of the Camera. Great Camera, pity the autofocus doesn't work. I've returned it.

D800 High ISO

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: D800 High ISO

I'm still trying to get my head around why I'd need 36.3MP!

Nice to have, but would I need it? I haven't found any autofocus issues with my loaner so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post

Nice to have, but would I need it? I haven't found any autofocus issues with my loaner so far though.
    Yes,because an image must crop not w.zoom only but in pp for many times

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Yes,because an image must crop not w.zoom only but in pp for many times
    Hmm - confused

Real Name
    Jeff

For me 36Mpix is a nuisance, if Nikon had made this a 24 Mpix camera it would have been outstanding.

The AF issues were not obvious - it was necessary to test with a 1.4 lens wide open to find the error - I initially thought it was OK, then noticed quite a lot of AF failures using the full array of focus points, this made me check more carefully, and sure enough, there was a problem.

J

Real Name
    Phil Page

I'll quote from the review I'm writing, Jeff:

In 1996 Porsche introduced the brilliant Boxster sports car but there was a feeling that they had not engineered the cars to be as good as they could be, for fear of stealing sales from their more prestigious and expensive 911. At the time the 911 was a difficult car to drive on the limit but once mastered the rewards were fantastic. The Boxster was less powerful, easier to drive and handled just as brilliantly.

It's a similar story with Nikon and the D600/D800. Give the D600 the same focusing system and ergonomic body as the D800 and D800 sales will definitely suffer. The D600 has been engineered to differentiate itself from the D800.

Real Name
    Jeff

I'll quote from the review I'm writing, Jeff:

In 1996 Porsche introduced the brilliant Boxster sports car but there was a feeling that they had not engineered the cars to be as good as they could be, for fear of stealing sales from their more prestigious and expensive 911. At the time the 911 was a difficult car to drive on the limit but once mastered the rewards were fantastic. The Boxster was less powerful, easier to drive and handled just as brilliantly.

It's a similar story with Nikon and the D600/D800. Give the D600 the same focusing system and ergonomic body as the D800 and D800 sales will definitely suffer. The D600 has been engineered to differentiate itself from the D800.
    Indeed, however, IF they had made a D600 as is, & a 24Mpix D800 as is (AF, Metering Ergonomics) THEN the choice would be much simpler & for me much more logical - I pay extra for a pro metering & AF system with pro ergonomics in a heavier body or I take a cheaper lighter body without the pro metering & AF.

Did you find the metering much improved over the D700 ? It seems better to me for high contrast scenes but not yet perfect ...

J

Real Name
    Phil Page

Auto WB is a lottery on the D600 and D800 in comparison to the D700. Metering seems a little improved. My ideal, if I were looking to a replacement to my D700 (which I'm still not, despite the test) would be D600 sensor in D800 body, with D800 metering/focus/ergonomics

Real Name
    Mark

Auto WB is a lottery on the D600 and D800 in comparison to the D700. Metering seems a little improved. My ideal, if I were looking to a replacement to my D700 (which I'm still not, despite the test) would be D600 sensor in D800 body, with D800 metering/focus/ergonomics
    Amen to that , only dont forget the faster frame rate in dx mode see we should design cams for Nikon!

Real Name
    Jeff

Nikon could fix this in firmware with a "reduced raw" size - canon do this I think. Its a glaring omission IMO.

I guess the AWB is fixable in FW too.

J

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by escaladieu View Post
    Nikon could fix this in firmware with a "reduced raw" size - canon do this I think. Its a glaring omission IMO.

I guess the AWB is fixable in FW too.

J
    so is the DX frame rate, but they wont do it! they will release a fast pro build DX next, ill put money on it.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    so is the DX frame rate, but they wont do it! they will release a fast pro build DX next, ill put money on it.
    Well they patented a carbon fibre pro gripped DSLR body a couple of years back - smaller than the D3 at the time. Everyone was screaming "D800"