Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Forest Waterfall

Real Name
    Matthew

Forest Waterfall

Here's a shot I took recently on my first hike in years. My legs were pretty sore for a few days after that one! I wanted to try a few other angles for this location, but unlike a professional, I did not have any waders with me

Lake 22 Waterfall - Canon 30D, EF-S 10-22mm @ 10mm, 3s @ f/11, ISO 100, Circular polarizer filter

Forest Waterfall

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Forest Waterfall

I think it's an interesting exercise to compare and contrast this with the one I posted yesterday, here. We've taken a very different approach to the water.

As we know, there are people who have a preference for the slower shutter speed, just as there are those who prefer to go faster. I think each potential image has to be judged at the time by the person on location making the image.

But given their broad similarity in terms of content, those still trying to get their heads round this issue of photographing flowing water, might find it helpful to compare the two.
    Last edited by Donald; 28th October 2012 at 12:53 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's a nice composition. Consider toning down the leaves in the bottom left corner. They add such nice interest that they're a bit distracting from the subject.

Real Name
    Matthew

Mike, thanks for the comment/advice. When you say "toning down" the leaves, can you please elaborate? Would you say to drop the exposure a little on those leaves? Reduce the saturation? Something else? Thanks!

Donald, indeed, the subject of my photo and the one you made in your post are quite similar! I'd agree with your good advice to anyone trying to learn about water exposure "treatment" to compare our two shots to see the differences.