Thread: Purple Dusk - Kakadu National Park

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Purple Dusk - Kakadu National Park

I pulled this one out of the archives to clean it up in PP. It was taken 10 years ago ad the print and negative were very dirty so the scan was none too flash. I liked the original shot and haven't really changed it except trying to clean it. C&C appreciated, can you see any spots?
    Purple Dusk - Kakadu National Park

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Purple Dusk - Kakadu National Park

A really striking, dramatic silhouette. It's a bit more intense than I prefer, but this will be very appealing to many.

I don't see any spots but the scan seems to have created a lot of noise and perhaps posterization in the deep blue part of the sky. You might like the image considerably better if you judiciously apply noise reduction to that area of the image.

Real Name
    Steven

I agree with Mike except to say that there is quite a bit of noise in the more pinky/purple areas as well. I don't know what the resolution of the scan was, but if you could scan at a higher resolution and save as a Tiff rather than an 8 bit jpg that might help a bit as well.
    The silhouette edges aren't sharp either, and if you can sharpen the image judiciously without increasing the noise, that would help as well.

rgds Steven

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A really striking, dramatic silhouette. It's a bit more intense than I prefer, but this will be very appealing to many.

I don't see any spots but the scan seems to have created a lot of noise and perhaps posterization in the deep blue part of the sky. You might like the image considerably better if you judiciously apply noise reduction to that area of the image.
    Thanks Mike, I will have a go at it. The negative is ruined so no chance to re-scan it.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by stelin View Post
    I agree with Mike except to say that there is quite a bit of noise in the more pinky/purple areas as well. I don't know what the resolution of the scan was, but if you could scan at a higher resolution and save as a Tiff rather than an 8 bit jpg that might help a bit as well.
    The silhouette edges aren't sharp either, and if you can sharpen the image judiciously without increasing the noise, that would help as well.
    Thanks Steven, the image was saved as a tif but I exported it as a jpg after working on it. The file was big but quality was poor.I think we scanned it at home years ago so it may be a lost cause. I'll keep trying but because it is a hard one to replace. IT's amazing the difference in the quality of todays digital cameras when you look at these old film prints.

rgds Steven