Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sigma 150-500

Sigma 150-500

Hi again,

I decided to keep my 50D for now and look at full frames a little later. Maybe the 5DIII will come down in price a bit. So I am going to get the 24-105 Canon L lens and was also thinking about the Sigma 150-500. Does anyone have one, and if so, what do you think? Worth the money? Sharp at the long end? Will it go together with the 50D? I know it has IS but I probably will always use it with a tripod. Thanks, in advance, for any tips and/or advice.

Real Name
    George

Re: Sigma 150-500

Took this with a siggy 150-500 and a pentax K-r
    Moonshot

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

And it will be the last Sigma I ever buy.

It had to go back for repairs twice in the first 6 months we had it. The first time all of the focus electronics and the focus motor died and had to be replaced. The second on (unfortunately while on the trip to Africa we bought it for), it died while we were in Etosha National Park in Namibia. This time round, the focus electronics went again. It fortunately comes with a 10 year warranty.

Optically okay, but not impressed with the build quality.

Real Name
    Jan de Vries

Moonshot with Sigma 150-500.
    Focal length : 450mm
    Aperture : F/8
    Aperture Priority
    Shutter speed : 1/500s
    Exposure Comp. : -1.0EV
    AF Fine Tune : ON(+3)
    Stabilization : Off
    Tripod : Yes
    Sigma 150-500

I have the lens now for nearly two years without any problem.
    450mm is for me the maximum. Higher and the softness is to strong for me.
    Aperture Priority to keep the maximum lens resolution.
    -1.0 EV is because of many black in the surrounding.
    The AF Fine Tune is on because my lens was, in mine opinion, a little out of focus.
    Tested by myself and corrected by the AF Fine tune.

The hug
    Focal length : 200mm
    Aperture : F/7.1
    Shutter speed : 1/800s
    Exposure Comp. : -2.3EV
    AF Fine Tune : ON(+3)
    Stabilization : On
    Tripod : No, Flash (Hi-speed) used with better beamer
    Sigma 150-500

I like the (heavy) lens. In combination with flash and better beamer the results are top for me.

Regards, Jan

Real Name
    Blake

For what it is this lens is pretty light (feels about the same or lighter than my 80-200 2.8). It does soften at the long end, but bang for your buck it's one of the best out there IMO. Everything I've heard about it has been positive, and playing around with it, it seems quite good. I usually know sigma for CA problems, but this lens doesn't seem to show any.

Don't think the photo came through...I don't see it anyway.

Used the lens for a couple of years, or a little more, and find it works well for the money; but subject to a few limitations.

Basically, it is what I call a 'good light lens' which means using at F8 or F11; although even narrower apertures are reasonably good when appropriate. Can get a little soft when fully open at the wider end. But works well for me at 500 providing I stop down just a little.

The OS stabilisation is surprisingly good even when handheld at 500 mm, subject to sensible shutter speeds. Although I prefer to use a tripod when possible. Originally used on a 40D now using 7D.

For a similar price I can't think of any alternatives if you want that zoom range. There is the 'Bigma' which has the same upper size but also goes a bit smaller. The older model doesn't have stabilisation and the newer version is a bit pricey. Both well liked though. Or the Canon 100-400 which has worked well for many years. Some people don't like the push/pull zoom action while others find no problems.

The other 'favourite lens' of bird photographers etc is the 400 mm prime which will also take a 1.4x converter. The downside is a lack of zoom and a rather long minimum focusing distance, at least with the F4 version. But an excellent lens for the right use.

The long minimum focusing of around 11 ft is what put me off this option. Fine for birds but what happens when a rare butterfly lands 6 ft from you.

There were a number of quality issues with some earlier batches of 150-500 lenses but that appears to have been resolved now. Possibly Manfred had one of those.

Nancy,
    I'm not an owner of the sigma 150-500, but in theory the autofocus will not work on your 50D at 500mm since the lens aperture is f\6.3: with f-number higher than 5.6 your autofocus will turn off automatically.
    You can find a great review of this lens here (and reviews of any many other lenses)
    as you can see at 500mm the sharpness drops significantly.
    have you considered a ef 100-400? it's quite easy to find an used one at about the same money of the new sigma...

hope this helps...
    cheers
    Nicola

Real Name
    evan north

i would rather forget budget long zooms altogether, instead i am thinking of the new canon sx50 hs. sharper, longer zoom. great is, far more compact, lighter, and best of all cheaper than most hobbyist zooms.

Real Name
    Tord S Eriksson

I used to own this lens, but it is not nearly as good as the 50-500, according to DxO. Up to around 400 it was OK, but hunted a lot on my Pentax K-5. I switched to Nikon D600, and got myself an AF-S VR 80-400 which is as sharp in the long end as the wide, which none of the cheaper Sigmas are!