Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Book about theory of cameras, lenses ... how they work?

Real Name
    Simon

Book about theory of cameras, lenses ... how they work?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good text on the theory of lenses/cameras - how they work, please?

Looking for a text that can explain the answers to these kinds of questions.

Why does using a wider aperture decrease the DOF.
    What is the relationship between focal length and DOF?

I want to learn properly about these matters from a theoretical text if one should exist. I've seen a couple of threads on here suggesting that such rules be 'taken as read', but I would really like to know why things work the way they do.

Cheers,
    Simon.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Book about theory of cameras, lenses ... how they work?

Quote Originally Posted by cyman1964uk View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good text on the theory of lenses/cameras - how they work, please?

Looking for a text that can explain the answers to these kinds of questions.

Why does using a wider aperture decrease the DOF.
    What is the relationship between focal length and DOF?

I want to learn properly about these matters from a theoretical text if one should exist. I've seen a couple of threads on here suggesting that such rules be 'taken as read', but I would really like to know why things work the way they do.

Cheers,
    Simon.
    Hi Simon - welcome to CiC. Some of the best information that you are looking for anywhere is found right on this site. Have a look at the tutorials as they should cover off your questions.

That is why I joined

Real Name
    Miltos

Since you want more technical and scientific stuff than what is available in CiC I'd suggest you begin with this Stanford University lectures and particularly study the flash applets section.

Real Name
    Miltos

Also this book is fun with nice illustrations. It is simple and not scientific.

There is another book in amazon titled Science for the Curious Photographer: An Introduction to the Science of Photography but I haven't read it. Reviewers say it is 'too technical'.

Usually with this kind of knowledge it is either too 'taken as read' or too scientific.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 25th October 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Real Name
    Simon

Thanks, guys, I will take a look at all your suggestions when I get home tonight.

I don't generally actually mind taking things as read, but if I have the luxury of finding out why, then I'd go for it . I just prefer to prove things for myself just once and then I can feel happier about them.

Thank you again, that's terrific - I'm glad I found this forum already!