Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Learning curve - slideshow DVD's

Learning curve - slideshow DVD's

Just bought myself a copy of Proshow Gold so I can create slideshow DVD's for viewing on TV.
    I think I just bought myself another steep learning curve if I want to get the most out of it. The basic production seems straightfoward but it has a choice of over 200 transitions between slides.

To say nothing about the audio possibilities to go with it.

Real Name
    Will

Re: Learning curve.

Thats ok, most of them will probably just look naff, use all of them and itll just look like a kid in a candy store, pic a handfull of simple ones and that'd probably be easiest and look best

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sometimes simplicity wins out -- if it were me, I'd probably just pick one and stick with it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bill,

I agree with the others, but expanding a little...

I would say there will be three basic transitions you will need and which to use depends on the images each side of the transition, their compositions and any reaction you are trying to invoke in viewers;
    1) Cut
    2) Dissolve (or mix) between the two images
    3) Fade to Black and back up on following image

Things like pushes, wipes and matrix fades soon wear out their welcome when used more than once in a presentation (IMHO).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Bill

I'd echo the above views. The other point I think worthy of note is that whichever transitions you find work, don't use them all in the one presentation. Stick to one, or maybe two.

A number of different transitions in one presentation not only confuses the viewer, but also diverts their attention as they end up wondering what the next transition is going to be rather than concentrating on the content. That was one of the discoveries made when PowerPoint hit the world.

I hear the advice and agree totally. I've always been fond of a simple fade out - fade in.