Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Autumn trees

Real Name
    Anne

Autumn trees

My first attempt at photo-merge so I am keen to get some feedback, thanks everyone.

Autumn trees

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Autumn trees

Hi Anne,

I'm not sure what was merged, can you expand on that please?
    e.g. Was it a vertical panorama, or perhaps HDR?

Just taking it as a photo for C&C;

I'd like to have seen the bottom of the trunk of the nearest tree, although it is quite a pleasant composition, the background is quite cluttered with even more sharp detail in the railings and buildings.

It is appearing to us as 1,067px × 1,599px, which means you did not downsize to 1000px tall (so it fits on people's screens) before uploading to TinyPic. You really should downsize to 1000px tall (maximum) whatever the aspect ratio/orientation. Please scrolll to Post 6 in this thread - it explains the how and why.

This would also have helped reduce the visibility of some lens defects.

The sky is blown, but you really had little option in those conditions and I'd say the exposure is OK, it looks a little over saturated, but the WB is natural.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Anne,

I'm not sure what was merged, can you expand on that please?
    e.g. Was it a vertical panorama, or perhaps HDR?

Just taking it as a photo for C&C;

I'd like to have seen the bottom of the trunk of the nearest tree, although it is quite a pleasant composition, the background is quite cluttered with even more sharp detail in the railings and buildings.

It is appearing to us as 1,067px × 1,599px, which means you did not downsize to 1000px tall (so it fits on people's screens) before uploading to TinyPic. You really should downsize to 1000px tall (maximum) whatever the aspect ratio/orientation. Please scrolll to Post 6 in this thread - it explains the how and why.

This would also have helped reduce the visibility of some lens defects.

The sky is blown, but you really had little option in those conditions and I'd say the exposure is OK, it looks a little over saturated, but the WB is natural.

Hope that helps,
    Thanks for the very informative feedback Dave, it has helped enormously and you have given me lots more to think about. I really was just practicing doing something different from my normal activity, maybe I am using the wrong terminology? I was reading about HDR and thought I would start with something easy ...... or so I thought. I took 3 photos in portrait format, used a tripod, camera on aperture priority, AEB -2/0/+2, set the timer to take the photos, then merged in photoshop. I agree about the saturation and my eye keeps getting drawn to the sharp railings. The sky was rather grey and misty so that is why it has come out blown I think. I agree that the background is cluttered, unfortunately this was the best angle to reduce the clutter. I may have another attempt at this shot and take your advice. Good tip about the sizing. Thanks again Dave.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

No worries, glad to help and look forward to another one soon.

Apologies if I get carried away and try to impart too much in one go
    It's a habit I cannot break

Cheers,

Real Name
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    No worries, glad to help and look forward to another one soon.

Apologies if I get carried away and try to impart too much in one go
    It's a habit I cannot break

Cheers,
    No apologies necessary Dave ... appreciate your honesty
    Anne