Thread: Atrium

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Atrium

Yesterday I walked into this atrium and felt overwhelmed by its size and mix of architectures. I have to admit I was both repulsed by this space and at the same time I could not stopping taking pictures of it.

Comments welcomed.

Atrium
    Atrium.2 by Karm Redland, on Flickr

Karm

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Atrium

Karm, this place has some great lines and shadows. I think would work well for me, had the white board leaning against the wall not been there to disrupt the great lines of the wall.

What a stellar picture. You'll have to go back someday and retake the picture without the whiteboard. Whoever was the architect of this building must be proud of his work.

Paul and mrme, thanks for your comments. Obviously, I agree with both of you about retaking the shot without the white board. However, I had to take the picture "as is" and I treat the white board as part of the picture.

Karm

Real Name
    Jon

Karm, what an interesting atrium. I don't quite understand the mix of styles but it does make for a very interesting shot. shot

Here's a view of the atrium from the other side without the white board.

Atrium
    Design.by.Commitee by Karm Redland, on Flickr

Karm

Real Name
    Jason

Karm

I think the composition of the first shot works better for me. The higher vantage point nearer to the wall keeps my eye from wandering all over the image. The architect must be very proud of this building. Where is this?

-Jason

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's the second one that I think works very well and would hope that you'll post a much larger version so that we can click on it and see that in the Lightbox.

Jason, it's the Cleveland Museum of Art. They have been renovating the museum for a number of years. The museum is first rate and can compete with museums in larger cities anywhere in the world. Renovation always poses difficulties in integrating styles of architecture separated by many decades. The exhibits in the museum are first rate both in terms of the works it contains and how it is displayed. However, I think stylistically the renovation is a bit of an abomination. I have no special expertise in any of this and I am simply speaking my personal tastes. When I walked into the atrium I felt dwarfed by its size and volume. The whole setup had a Kafkaesque feeling to it.

Karm

Karm

Donald, this should work.

Atrium

Karm