Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Paint w/light

Real Name
    Jon

Paint w/light

I was a little bored tonight so I thought I would go back to something I have not done for awhile...paint with light.
    So I grabbed the camera, the tri-pod, a couple flash lights and the first thing that caught my eye in the basement (Well it is Sunday night and I am watching football). This is what I came up with. C&C welcome.
    Paint w/light

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Paint w/light

Imaginative work. Nicely done.

Can you explain how you went about taking the shot?

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Imaginative work. Nicely done.

Can you explain how you went about taking the shot?
    Thanks Bobo. Here is the set-up I used; Camera on tri-pod, 15 sec shutter, F2.7, manual focus and 10 sec timer. A totally dark room...as soon as the shutter hits I "painted" the front of the bottles with a small flash light several times back and forth and then stepped around to the back and , with the same flash light, made multiple arches aiming the light at the camera giving the effect behind the bottles. It took several shots before I was somewhat pleased with the placement. I could keep going all night but I have to be at work in 6 hours so I thought I should get some sort of rest. Hope this helps explain.

Real Name
    Jon

Here is another in which the background light kinda got away from me and was more off-center
    Paint w/light

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Jon. I will try that one day.

15 secs seems an awfully short time to be doing all that - you must move at Superman speed...

Real Name
    Jon

15 sec is the max shutter time on my canon sx30is. I shot this on top of my bar so I only had to move a couple feet at the most. The hardest part is figuring out how much light to "paint" on the front of the bottles without blowing them out. I have kinda figured out how much I can do in 15 seconds(it doesn't take much. I have done a couple vehicles, sometimes with two people with flashlights.

Real Name
    Bobo

Just re-read the posts - the 10 sec timer would have given good enough time to get into position.

Real Name
    Mark

Jon, you should get bored more often, nice work! would it have worked if youd used a flash to expose the bottles with the ambient under exposed, then you wouldnt have so much running around to do!!!

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Jon, you should get bored more often, nice work! would it have worked if youd used a flash to expose the bottles with the ambient under exposed, then you wouldnt have so much running around to do!!!
    Mark, Thanks for the comment. There is a pool table and all sorts of stuff behind the bottles that a flash would have allowed to be seen. What I like about "Painting w/light" is what you paint will show and everything else will stay hidden...and it gives me something to do.

Cheers

Real Name
    Mark

Ok Jon ill have to try the shot when i get home and see if it can be done with a flash!!! ill have to link it to the 52 week challenge that i only got 2 weeks done so far