Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Zoom

Real Name
    Glenn

Zoom

This is my first time in long exposure zoom affect personally don’t like it but what do you think C&C please.

Zoom

Real Name
    John

Re: Zoom

I have never tried it but people have panned and refocused etc to keep the moving object sharp. On dpreview I have seen shots that look like that but where people have clearly cheated.

-

Real Name
    Phil Page

Please link to that hysterical panning 200mph Vietnamese cyclist!

Please please please!

What a plum

Real Name
    Phil Page

Not you, Glenn!

Real Name
    John

No chance if you mean me. The dpreview forum is best avoided. Their tests and reviews are good but the forum is something else. A good place for taking trips down the garden path.

-

Real Name
    J stands for John

One of my principles about photography is that if there is something 'wrong' in a photo there should also be something right somewhere to show you know what you are doing So the photo is interesting but somehow I wish the loco or part of it was sharper? Perhaps one needs two cameras taking photos simulstaniously but one has the zoom lens and then combine in editing ?
    I did the zoom business a couple of times one night when I was out after camera club meeting and in a 'photo mood' ... it was raining so worked hand held with the car window wound down.
    Zoom
    1/3 sec wide open and two seconds f/11 Pany FZ50

EDIT ...I wonder if one could zoom fast enough one could get the sharp/zoom effect when shooting burst? Of a loco I mean.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 22nd October 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Real Name
    John

One of the "advantages" ??? of one touch zooms is that it's possible to retain size and focus on a moving object. I have seen prints where this has been done but it would still be possible to cheat by printing through masks and deliberately moving the print when the background is printed.

These days it would be fairly easy to do by merging 2 shots. One of the object and another of the background while panning with a slow shutter speed. It might even be possible to use movement removal software on the background to add some.

On the other hand maybe AF can track the moving object which just leaves the zoom - a frame extracted from a video in other words while retaining size with the zoom. Personally I suspect people cheat.

-

Real Name
    J stands for John

Not sure if it is cheating or simply using the tools made available to us by those wonderful programmers.
    We had a Steam Festival over the last weekend, Labour Weekend celebrating the 8 hour day I believe on the monday.
    Visiting was Ka942 originally of the NZ Government Railways but now owned by a preservation group [ Mainland Steam ?].
    Also new in my computer trial versions of Lightroom 4.2 and Elements 11 and playing with the latter using motion blur on one layer and then erasing it to reveal the sharp image in the layer below. Have a feeling I should have the motion vertically instead of horizontal but since the programmes only work in Vista onwards it means I have to close XP and open W7 which is a bore
    How does that grab you Glenng?
    Zoom