Thread: Face book no longer worth the effort for photographers promotions

Real Name
    Mark

Face book no longer worth the effort for photographers promotions

Having read a thread from Colin Southern, who was asking if other photogs were using facebook for promotion. I thought that those of you thinking of promoting you business in this way might find this article interesting.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2012/10/09/facebook-value/

you might be wasting your time, i dont know, i dont use it!

Real Name
    Warrick

Re: Face book no longer worth the effort for photographers promotions

A lot of Photographers have moved to Google + now. Thomas Hawk wrote a piece about photography and Google + here

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by wmoore View Post
    A lot of Photographers have moved to Google + now. Thomas Hawk wrote a piece about photography and Google + here
    Are these meant to be links Warrick..I can't access them.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st October 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Anton

This is the link posted (minus the url bbcode tags)
    http://thomashawk.com/2011/07/top-10...ographers.html

Real Name
    Steaphany

Both facebook and google+ over burden my computer, which can easily handle photoshop, astronomical image stacking, or panorama stitching, but at least facebook is sorta functional. It took me hours to barely complete a google+ registration, so I don't use it.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Facebook, in my world is only good for political ranting. That way, I don't have to bother the people in my life with my thoughts. LOL

Real Name
    Virginia

Just an FYI -

The first time Facebook changed their privacy rules without explicit notice to its "members", I removed myself and my materials from their site, notified all my friends that I was leaving Facebook and put everything onto one of my websites. I'd rather pay a domain fee and be certain that everything is as I want it to be, with my restrictions (or not), at the size I prefer, and represented as I prefer.

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Facebook, in my world is only good for political ranting. That way, I don't have to bother the people in my life with my thoughts. LOL
    +1.

And I think this thinking is growing.

Glenn

Real Name
    Richard

I absolutely HATE Facebook but, realize the value of that site in promoting our Maltese Rescue efforts. Thankfully, we have some volunteers who are addicted to Facebook and I don't have to mess with it.

What bothers me about Facebook is that it gets bogged down with postings like "Happy Birthday Granny Smith" and "Baby Ruth just cut her front teeth". I am not a social enough person to enjoy social networking...

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by drjuice View Post
    Just an FYI -

The first time Facebook changed their privacy rules without explicit notice to its "members", I removed myself and my materials from their site, notified all my friends that I was leaving Facebook and put everything onto one of my websites. I'd rather pay a domain fee and be certain that everything is as I want it to be, with my restrictions (or not), at the size I prefer, and represented as I prefer.

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia
    I held out to the 2nd or 3rd time they were caught in apparent deception and decided that I just didn't want to support a company with those ethics. Unfortunately it is becoming so ingrained in everything that I do sometimes feel that I miss out on some things but I'm holding steady. I moved to Google+ and am only friends with people that I have a current relationship with - not the hundreds of people I barely knew in high school. It's a much simpler interface in my opinion, the feel of it is not so intrusive and you aren't constantly bombarded with ads and requests.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am not a social enough person to enjoy social networking...
    Actually, it just might be the opposite, depending on how you define "being social enough." A couple years ago a psychologist on television mentioned that the effect of social networking sites is that your distant relationships are brought closer to you and your close relationships are made more distant. Everyone has different goals, but those results are the exact opposite of my goals.