Thread: Reflections

Real Name
    Sharon

Reflections

Reflections

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Reflections

Hi Sharon. I'm going to stick my neck out. I love your images, but for me this one just does't work. It's a good image of course, but I don't know what you want to tell me. ! Puts tin hat on!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi Sharon. I'm going to stick my neck out. I love your images, but for me this one just does't work. It's a good image of course, but I don't know what you want to tell me. ! Puts tin hat on!
    Behave............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..................................I can shoot through tin!!!

Not everything works and I don't expect it to Dave. I really appreciate your honesty, it helps me find my way.

Real Name
    james

Its a beautiful shot and I can see why you took it. What would work for me would be to place a great white Egret in front of that darker reed section, then I would have a bird picture to rival Joes' (Joe who posted the blue heron shots) I am always impressed by your artistic handling of a shot (even if it doesnt work). thanks for sharing.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I saw this very soon after it was posted and decided that I wanted to live with it awhile before commenting. I absolutely love the colors and texture. I think I would love the image in totality if the two foreground objects were not included. It's not a matter of simply cropping to remove them; I think that foreground space is needed though without them.

Real Name
    Nathan

Daisy, I really like this image. However, the one thing that nags at me are those two elements (at the bottom of the photo) which grabs my focus as soon as I look at the image. IMO, There is no standard 'story telling' element which has to be associated with a particular photo. When I take my hand and cover up the lower portion of the photo, there is indeed something that speaks to me, about what you have captured. Mysterious? Yes. But, none the less, there is something that I Find compelling about it.

I Really like it.

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

Daisy: I love the colour and mood of this image. I agree with Mike and Nathan about the 2 elements in the foreground. Could you clone those out and re-post? Good shot.

Real Name
    Bobo

Dang it. First you steal my idea and then make it work. A right "Japan" you are....

Taken early summer and never dared post for fear of being laughed off the board. Your magic would have worked well on these for sure.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...20806_1091.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3...20720_6549.jpg

I like it. Agree that the bits of grass in the foreground needs removing. What I really like is the circular feel to the image, centred on the slight gap in the reeds and accented by the curves of the reeds and the vignetting in the corners.

Real Name
    Mark

Not one of your best Sharon, but as the others say cloning the foreground would help,your use of the vignette is just right and the aspect works well. Maybe a smaller crop the same aspect to remove some of the image would work?

Real Name
    Sharon

My aspect on this pond was restricted by some serious iron railings....it would have been so much better if I had been a foot taller or had a ladder.

I think this is one for the bin really.Thanks everyone

Real Name
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Its a beautiful shot and I can see why you took it. What would work for me would be to place a great white Egret in front of that darker reed section, then I would have a bird picture to rival Joes' (Joe who posted the blue heron shots) I am always impressed by your artistic handling of a shot (even if it doesnt work). thanks for sharing.
    Not to hijack the post and I think Daisy Mae's shot is better than mine technically I just got lucky a had the egret in it. So given the above statement asking for a Egret I remembered I had a similar shot I took years ago.
    Reflections

Real Name
    Mark

nnnnooooooooo sHARON PLEASE TRY THE CROP!!!!

Real Name
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    I think this is one for the bin really.Thanks everyone
    Sharon, why don't you rethink this? Not really trying to tell you what to do, but we must remember that what we - as photographers - do is not going to rest at the same level in everyone's eyes. And this is not to speak negative about anyone who doesn't see something in your photo. We all just see things differently. I, personally, did see something in this scene. There was something (as I had mentioned earlier) quite mysterious, and 'drawing' about that shadowed opening at the middle of those brushes (or whatever they are). I really like your shot, and it would be a keeper for me - if it had been for my having taken it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The vignette works wonderfully. It feels like a French movie (and that's one of the best compliments that's around!). I too would have liked to lose the strands of grass at thef ront.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sharon,

I had an immediate different thought when I saw this - I wanted the 'tunnel' in the reeds, given the angle of it, to be nearer the right third.

Everything else works for me, just the dark patch is too central - in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately of course, I can't suggest shooting from further to camera left, or panning left, as that would spoil the relative positioning of all the other elements.

Cheers,