Thread: On the edge of the Atlantic

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

On the edge of the Atlantic

Right out on the north-western edge of Europe, on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, it’s ‘next stop North America’. If you're very keen-eyed you can see, on the horizon at the top left, the island of Lewis.

It’s an unforgiving landscape. The rocks show their age, having been pushed up from the horizontal position on ancient sea-beds over millenia of tectonic plate movement so that they now lie at an angle. There’s not a lot of soil on the ground and this is the land on which people have have to grow crops and feed livestock.

From the top of a hill named Meall an Fheadain the view in all directions was breathtaking. To the north-west, you look over the township (hamlet) of Altandhu and out to the Atlantic.

I went for this when I felt the sunlight on the ground in the top right gave the picture a nice sort of 'lift'.

Comments and thoughts always welcome.

Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8L @ 24mm. ISO200. 1/20s @f22

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: On the edge of the Atlantic

Excellent!

Fantastic leading lines, the eye wanders in the frame and don't want to leave it. Very nice tones and textures, lots to discover, makes me want to visit the place.

At first I thought that the way the rocks in the front are cut not ideally but it really doesn't bother me.

Is this a cloud shadow in the back? I can't tell.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Miltos.

There was quite a wind blowing high up and the clouds were moving quickly. So, yes, what you see is the shadow caused by clouds and the sunshine through a gap in those clouds.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I like it. Strong lines. Interesting how the meandering pattern of the rock formation draws the eye down the hill , down the ridge and onto the water. Beautifully set up and framed by a good eye. Be interested how many frames were shot, evaluated and put to one side before this one was chosen.
    However, out of curiosity, I would like to have seen the colour version for comparison, mainly as I reckon the light shadows interplay and the clouds would be most interesting. Would also like to see the colour patterns on the rocks.
    ucci

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    However, out of curiosity, I would like to have seen the colour version for comparison, mainly as I reckon the light shadows interplay and the clouds would be most interesting. Would also like to see the colour patterns on the rocks.
    ucci
    Ken
    I followed my usual pattern of getting the one I wanted and another one for insurance! When I'm pretty confident about a shot, I usually just go for the one frame, or maybe two as I say, just in case.

In terms of colour, I posted the first one in this thread a few days ago. It shows the same sort of light. This one below was done when there was more sunshine around. My partner, Sheila, wanted me to take this given how the great lump of rock was resting on top of a number of smaller lumps (the ice age did some wonderful things with our landscape).

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you for going to the effort of reposting re my sticky nosed enquiry. I like the colour shot possibly more than the b&w for its interesting hues. And the rock is full of character in colour. Nit picking, and being a proper PIA, I would have liked to have seen the whole rock formation in #1 in colour. Anyway, thanks for responding to my request.
    K

Real Name
    Terri

As usual, a wonderful image. I'm so glad you continue to share so us inexperienced can study and learn from them!

Real Name
    Sharon

Both pure quality as always Donald, there's something very special about seeing the very contours of the land and I am so glad Sheila talked you into the colour shot...always listen to the womenfolks!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The detail in the first one must be seen in the largest size to be fully appreciated.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Donald you are making me homesick . I'm originally from the other side of the pond, Nfld. where the landscape is very similar The B&W certainly conveys the 'harshness' of the environment yet the colour version brings back found memories of carefree summer days just enjoying the scenery. Of course there were probably gale force winds blowing but that would be a minor detail

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you for the comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by HMW12 View Post
    Donald you are making me homesick . I'm originally from the other side of the pond, Nfld. where the landscape is very similar
    Interesting what you write, Helen, because, (since we're on the subject of geology and plate movement on the earth's surface) Scotland once was part of the land mass that is North America. It was, undoubtedly, a great loss for the North American continent that what was to become Scotland, drifted off a few million years ago. But England was very fortunate in that on its way up from equator, it bumped into us ........ and we let them stay!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This one below was done when there was more sunshine around. My partner, Sheila, wanted me to take this given how the great lump of rock was resting on top of a number of smaller lumps (the ice age did some wonderful things with our landscape).

An excellent "L" composition with great depth, detail and colour. Every time I look up from the keyboard I see new things I hadn't seen before. I think I'm going to be exploring this one for a bit!

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I really like the BW. I agree with Mike, in full size the rocks, their pattern, etc. are wonderful to look at..

Karm

Real Name
    Bobo

Wonderful b/w shot.