Thread: Lone fisherman

Real Name
    Harry

Lone fisherman

Ok I know this pic most probably has alot wrong with it technically but i actually like the end result, would be interested to get feedback on composition, all C & C welcome - shutter speed 1/200, AV 4.0, ISO 200, Focal length 55mm. i did make some adjustments and saved as other images but this is the original
    thanks

Harry
    Lone fisherman

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lone fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by HAZZA View Post
    ... but i actually like the end result, ...
    And that, ultimately, is all that matters.

It's nice if others like it as well, especially if you're trying to sell it. But if you're not, then there is only one person to please.

I like it as well. I do think it'sa pity that so much of it is blown. It would have been good, I think, to have been able to show a bit of detail in the sky and more areas of the water, but the whole thing hangs together well.

Real Name
    Harry

thanks Donald, totally agree about the sky, althoguh it was a really hazy afternoon. I unfortunately had to rush the shot as i was walking past as the scene unfolded, i wanted to get him casting his line but by the time i got camera out of the bag he was already starting to walk off, im not sure if i should have had a slower shutter speed or higher av

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

im not sure if i should have had a slower shutter speed or higher av
    I'm not sure the problem lay in either of these. If you had done either, the trees on the other side and the man's clothing would have been very, very dark. I think it was just a case of you being faced with a very high dynamic range and you did the best you could in that situation.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Harry,

See what I mean by the Green A on the 650D? May I ask why you used Shutter Priority for this shot? Now if you turned up the colour temp with the manual white balance you would have a picture with much more warmth. Try it.

I like the shot and it is just a matter of gaining experience with the Canon.

Real Name
    Harry

yes Andre in hindsight Auto would have been the way to go - it was my first time with my Canon and I think i may have tried too much too soon, I have used Auto for so long with my Fuji that I really wanted to start using all the buttons on the Canon. I promise i will experiment more with the white balance in future - thanks again for the feedback - hopefully it will all come together for me soon - i am having fun practising regardless

Real Name
    Harry

Andre here is a similar shot with exactly the same settings,taken a bit earlier than the fisherman , what would have given me a sharper image here?
    Lone fisherman

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Harry,

In your second image, everything from the duck to the background is quite sharp to my eyes. The foreground trees are not sharp probably because of your point of focus, an aperture that is too large or both. My point is that if you want the trees to be in focus, they need to be included within the depth of field, which is not the case.

Be sure to increase the magnification of the image in your camera's LCD to 100% viewing after capturing an image. Review the entire image at that magnification in the LCD to check for sharpness.

Regarding your first image, consider cropping it on the left to eliminate the tree and on the top to just above the treetops. Doing so eliminates the blown parts of the image, emphasizes the texture in the water to add interest, and still retains an evocative composition, perhaps even more evocative than in your original.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th October 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Harry,

The second shot was probably taken with the sun at a slightly different angle. When the sun is setting or rising, light changes very quickly and a few seconds can make a big difference. If you are shooting in a semi-manual or full manual mode you have to be aware of the changing light.

I like that second shot and I do not know if I agree with Mike on getting the trees in focus, I think Mike was only trying to explain how to get them in focus. The trees make a good frame and lead the viewers eye to the subject of the picture.

Personally I would say you have a good eye for composition and spending the money on the 650D was justified. I also like the idea that you are not attempting to "fix" errors in PP but rather attempt to get it right in camera. I like the way you are critical to your own work.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    I like that second shot and I do not know if I agree with Mike on getting the trees in focus, I think Mike was only trying to explain how to get them in focus. The trees make a good frame and lead the viewers eye to the subject of the picture.
    When Harry asked how to get that image in focus, I assumed that he was referring to the trees, as everything else in the image seems to be in focus. I agree that they don't need to be in focus.

Real Name
    Harry

thnx Mike, I realised after posting that It could have been because it was a hand held shot, I didn't have a tripod with me and me hands are not as steady as I would like, will try your suggestions, thanks

Real Name
    Harry

Thanks Andre, great feedback,everyone on this site is really helpful. As for my 650d, it is even better because I didn't buy it, my brother gave it to me as a birthday gift! Thanks again, have a great weekend, I'm off to a Motor Show today so more experimenting, unfortunately it's indoors and likely to be crowded

thnx Mike, I realised after posting that It could have been because it was a hand held shot, I didn't have a tripod with me and me hands are not as steady as I would like
    Maybe I misunderstand, Harry, but I think you missed the point I am making. Your hands were clearly steady enough for this handheld shot because part of the image is in focus. It's the limited depth of field that caused the foreground trees to be out of focus.

Real Name
    Harry

Thnx Mike, no I misunderstood at first, I now realise what you are saying, thnx again