Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 19 , Homeless and Pregnant

19 , Homeless and Pregnant

Re: 19 , Homeless and Pregnant

Come on, Kevin. You can't give a title like that and not explain more. What's the story here?

Real Name
    Steaphany

I was expecting a National Geographic style image of a suffering girl stuck in a third world nation relegated to a hopeless future.

Not this. Based solely on the photos, I'm presuming (I know, a big leap) that she is living in a rather affluent country ( Since you're in California, could this gal also be in California ? ), where homeless shelters are available, medical services are available for her pregnancy, i.e. Hospitals which turn no one away, and jobs of some sort can be found.

If someone has the motivation and work ethic, they can get themselves established into a career, home, and family.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 15th September 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    I was expecting a National Geographic style image of a suffering girl stuck in a third world nation relegated to a hopeless future.

Not this. Based solely on the photos, I'm presuming (I know, a big leap) that she is living in a rather affluent country ( Since you're in California, could this gal also be in California ? ), where homeless shelters are available, medical services are available for her pregnancy, i.e. Hospitals which turn no one away, and jobs of some sort can be found.

If someone has the motivation and work ethic, they can get themselves established into a career, home, and family.

I am sorry if my tittle mislead anyone . But I did want a catchy one and the title is accurate.
    I guess I should have titled it, " Lazy white girl living on beach " because everyone knows that homeless people are just lazy(sarcasm)...and if they just wanted to have a job they'd get one and whatever mental illnesses they have that is preventing them from intergrating into society now..will just go away. lol..

I see homeless people almost everyday...trust me...most of them are mentally ill and are "relegated to a hopeless future" as they don't have any realistic hope of leading a normal, productive and rewarding life according to 'normal' standards.

What I am trying to say is,,, that I think we should have empathy for homeless people reguardless of their geography. That saying they could fix their circumstances merely by wishing to do so, is an easy answer to ourselves as to how they came to be like that, and shields us from the deeper questions of why our society allows it and how to fix it.

Real Name
    Chris

Ok, Kevin I love your pics and generally your perspective on the world........but, please try to keep things in perspective. If cop-outs were....... well, you get the pic. Social change will never exist to the extent of true equality amongst all and we play the cards that we are dealt. Anyone that doesn't see that is deceiving themself. We are human and all different, but that is ok. You must try to help your fellow human being as though he/she were your brother/sister and that is about the best you can do. Things happen for a reason and some people don't want to be helped. Shall we be a society that forces them? Hmmm, don't like being told what to do, but in the name of humanity should all be accepted....I don't believe it should. Trust me, working in Chicago for 5 years I have seen every bit of human tragedy, but most people living of the street do not want help. They want hand-outs! I help those that want it and believe it is up to all to follow this guideline, but people have got to be responsible for their own actions as well. As for mental issues, we all got them. It just depends to what extent. Stories of life is what make us human. It is the human condition. Do what you can while here and picture yourself over there.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    I am sorry if my tittle mislead anyone . But I did want a catchy one and the title is accurate.
    I think shots #1 and #3 are quite good. Personally, I would have just posted the shots with a title of the girl's name, and given a few words about her circumstances. It's fairly obvious from the shots that she isn't some rich kid. Strange isn't it how we like shots of desperately poor kids in India and other places, where they look almost picturesque, but a shot of someone from the hub of wealth makes us feel uneasy. Did you know that if all of the resources in the world were spread equally amongst 7 billion people, I would be living in a hovel instead of a smart luxury house.

Real Name
    Ali

...trust me...most of them are mentally ill...
    Although it does not change anything you said in your post, keep in mind that it is the chicken and egg story: some of them become mentally ill after losing everything they have and living poor and homeless, sometime from very early age.

If she is really pregnant, I am hoping her child has a better future...
    Last edited by Alis; 16th September 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Real Name
    Kori

I deal with low income and homeless people everday where I work. I work for a CAP (Community Action Program). Although I work in the Medical Clinic of our agency I regularly refer patients to other departments for food, utility shut off, and of course, where to spend the night.

Many stories to be heard, many reasons as to why they have little money, no money, or/and no shelter. I do have to say many of the (about)30 years old and up people coming in our door have no incentive to change their ways. They receive free/or reduced medical services, food, shelter, utilites. We are - in a sense- enabling them. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Not all is lost though, in "my" area of work, I mostly see kids starting around age 14.... I've been really focusing appointments on education... i.e. keep them on track with school so they graduate and not drop out, alcohol/drug free, etc.... telling them that a college loan is the best thing in the world!!

Many success stories coming out of my department.
    You need to nip it in the butt right away... the circle of the "disease" is hard to break! There will always be some that fall through the cracks...but some is better than all.

Just what I see in my town, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    . It's fairly obvious from the shots that she isn't some rich kid. Strange isn't it how we like shots of desperately poor kids in India and other places, where they look almost picturesque, but a shot of someone from the hub of wealth makes us feel uneasy. Did you know that if all of the resources in the world were spread equally amongst 7 billion people, I would be living in a hovel instead of a smart luxury house.

odd but I just read in a magazine that 1 in 6 humans live in India...

odd but I just read in a magazine that 1 in 6 humans live in India...
    That's right. it has a population of about 1.2 billion, and at least a third of them live in poverty. The rest of them are not too well off either.

Getting back to the pictures... there are plenty of images that have been taken of the poor. And the UK has had it's fair share, from Bert Hardy in the depression to Nick Danziger in modern times http://www.nickdanziger.com/Photography/photo.html They do make interesting photography, and they may have a social purpose. But in the end I can't help thinking there is a strong voyeuristic element to them.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Would we be having such an emotional discussion, let alone any discussion at all, had the title of this thread been "California Beach Gal" ?

What happened to the father ? Why is there no parental responsibility ? I'm sure the California judicial system has a mechanism for women in such circumstances to force fathers to owe up to their half of the deed. But then, why isn't this gal pursuing this course of action, or is this an unknowable detail that no one cares about ?

Would the title "19 , Homeless and Pregnant" carry the same emotional impact if it was known that the Child Protective Services appointed attorney argued the case in court and won the gal a one million dollar lump sum payment with one hundred thousand dollar annual child support from the father ?

Would this very discussion have evolved along the lines that it did had we known the full story, but I see this as a flaw of documentative photography and cinematography. Viewers only see a short glimpse of time, the moment when the shutter is open or the camera is rolling. No one can capture on film or electronic media a persons entire life. The context of a photograph or documentary is not that of the subjects photographed, but what the photographer or cinematographer applies to them, the title, the paragraph of explanation, a few carefully chosen words to sway the thoughts a person viewing the piece.

Personally, I prefer to steer clear of such emotionally nebulous photographic subjects. What truth can a photograph possess if the whole meaning and emotional impact of a photo can change by a few words accompanying it ? "19 , Homeless and Pregnant" versus "California Beach Gal" ?

Real Name
    Kori

Every woman has the right NOT to reveal the Father's name... even to lie... saying she doesn't know who it is! If she doesn't go after child support that is.

We never know the "real" story. Sad!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
    Every woman has the right NOT to reveal the Father's name... even to lie... saying she doesn't know who it is! If she doesn't go after child support that is.

We never know the "real" story. Sad!
    Out of interest Kori, where do you stand on a child's "right" to know who their father is, and the "right" of a father to know of a child?

(not taking any position, just curious).

Real Name
    Kori

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Out of interest Kori, where do you stand on a child's "right" to know who their father is, and the "right" of a father to know of a child?

(not taking any position, just curious).
    I'm all for both!

I never met my biological father... he wanted nothing to do with me! So I 100% UNDERSTAND the child wanting to know the father - (so I can empathize with the father wanting to know too). Funny thing is, my Biological Father died in 2001, with me only knowing one of his many siblings - who kept his secret of me from the family. In 2003 I moved directly across the street from his brother. My husband knows the family - and told me who they were. I grabbed up enough courage after many months of small neighborly talks and told my "uncle". I was welcomed with very open arms... turns out they weren't surprised he kept me a secret, and they were thrilled to know I am family.

Sometimes bad things happen for a good reason! He was not a nice person from what the family has now told me!

I never knew either of my parents. I was abandoned as an infant on the steps of a church in a basket with a note pinned to my clothes asking that someone would take care of me. I don't know my real name or real date of birth. I am not even sure where I was born or found.

I think every child has the right to know whom their parents are, atleast by a certain age.

And no I have not tried to find my biological parents...there simply are not any leads...

I know the girl in the photographs story, and its not mine to tell.