Thread: Opera House - Vivid

Real Name
    Harry

Opera House - Vivid

Hi all - I took this last year with my Fuji S100FS - Shutter speed 4,av 5.6, ISO 400 - a ferry went past at the time of shooting creating the effect. Would be interested to get feedback on the best settings if I was to try a similar shot with my 650D
    Opera House - Vivid

Re: Opera House - Vivid

Wow, I've never seen the sydney opera house with such vibrant colors. That looks really nice, and doesn't at all look like it has been overprocessed, although the colors there obviously was a lot of processing done to bring out those colors. I also like the way the water slightly sparkles.

Real Name
    Harry

Thanks Mrme, there was no processing with this, Vivid is a light show they have every year and the Opera House and the circular quay is lit out over a few weeks, I have a lot of similar shots to this with the Opera House constantly changing colors, they are all quite spectacular
    Regards

Harry

Wow that must be an amazing light show to produce such vivid colors in a photo.

Real Name
    Harry

Yes mate worth seeing if you are ever in Sydney late May / early June, will post another pic or 2 so you can see the changes, the one I'm attaching now is just from my facebook files, will post another when home
    Opera House - Vivid

Real Name
    Tony

Super color, great shot I wish i could be there... nice job
    Tony

Real Name
    Paul

I love the colors in the second. Though it seems softer than the first. What a great place to shoot and you certainly did well to catch this event.

Real Name
    J stands for John

By checking the EXIF data which came with your posting I can tell you you used a 4 second exposure and f/5.6 with 400 ISO. as perhaps you already knew ahead of me
    You could duplicate those setting with your 650D in Manual mode. I suspect the camera choose 400 ISO becuase of the large amount of black sky in the composition and it would be worth lowering to 100 ISO for a longer exposure. You do not normally need to have a high ISO when the main point of the picture is a light source. If the camera says this is wrong and wants you to give more exposure tell it you know better and it is wrong becuase it is mis-judging due to the large amount of black in frame. It does depend on what metering method you are using.

Real Name
    Harry

I think I may have set that Iso although I took a lot of shots that night and did change a few times, I wouldn't have thought to lower to lower ISO so will try that next time, I also used 10sec self timer for all the shots I took that night, thnx for the tip

Real Name
    Harry

Another pic from the same night - shutter speed. 4, av 7.1, iso 400,c & c welcome

Opera House - Vivid

Real Name
    Ken

Gee, the people have not moved in 4 seconds! - must be Australians!

Real Name
    Harry

ha ha Ken, actually they are NZ TOURISTS! LOL