Thread: Paper Doll

Real Name
    Emily

Paper Doll

Hi All,

Just popping in to show you a photo of my daughter dressing up in tissue paper for the canon photo5 competition. Not overly happy with the lack of sharpness but I do love her pose and her facial expression

Paper Doll

Your thoughts and feedback are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Paper Doll

Absolutely terrific concept and model! I don't see any issues with the sharpness. Perhaps you were thinking of having a larger depth of field but I think this depth of field is an ideal fit with the mood of the image. I understand that you're using creative lighting but I would prefer that you maintain the detail in her left arm and hair on her left side. Also consider moving her further away from the background to eliminate the shadow falling on it.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th October 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    Emily

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your feedback and I do agree about losing the detail on her arm and hair on her left. It was the price I had to pay to brighten the photo and reveal some of the detail on her right, I also needed to really draw attention to the tissue paper head piece as that was the brief for the comp....bright, bold tissue paper. It was taken in her toy room with not great lighting, but a true artist never blames their tools , right?

I really need to learn how to use my manual settings better so I can get the image the way I want it without having to fiddle around with it so much afterwards.

Real Name
    Soozie

Good luck with the photo 5 Emmy

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Emily,

Agreed with Mike, I think it works very well. It is not quit to my liking when a picture is "burnt out" in any area like that. However it seems to be very popular, especially with lady photographers.

Real Name
    Emily

Hi Soozie, thank you for your kind wishes!

I agree Andre, it is a bit more burnt out than I would have hoped. Lots more to learn hey?! I am just about to upload one I took of my father in law and his treasured grand daughters that I took at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens a couple of weeks back. I look forward to your honest feedback on that one too if you have a chance