Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One last Gotham City, until I get fog

Real Name
    Phil Page

One last Gotham City, until I get fog

One last shot from my visit yesterday morning. I'll post some more if I get lucky with foggy conditions

This is a single 14-24mm image @ 14mm

To some, the image may look lop sided compositionally, but I like the juxtaposition between the futuristic skyscrapers on the left and the low rise traditional villas and houses on the right. Colour and B&W versions are posted here - in camera I opted for cloudy white balance to warm the image up a little. It's a 1 second exposure @ f8, 15 minutes before sunrise.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: One last Gotham City, until I get fog

Another very good composition Phil. Can't decide which I prefer - colour or B&W. They are just different.

Dave

Real Name
    Grahame

I also like the composition but prefer the colour version. The 1 sec exposure has worked really well with the light trails whilst retaining the sharpness of the clouds.

Real Name
    Tommy

Wow! What a scene! It looks so futuristic... ...I really like them both and can't really separate them. As Dave said, they are just different.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Tommy, Grahame and Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

In the color version, the warm tones of the street draw my eye to the center of the image. In the B&W version, the bright sky on the left diverts my eye to that side of the image. Consider toning that area down.

Try tilting the image ever so slightly to the left. I'm not sure that will be an improvement but it would be worth a try.

Real Name
    Kenny

I like them both Phil. As Mike says, the warm street tones in the colour version really draw the eye in, however it's the stunning contrast of the nearest building on the left in the B&W version that makes it for me.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Phil, I am having a hard time believing that you are even taking pictures in this time/space continuum. They are breath taking. Obviously you are well above the city looking down, it looks like you must be on a building that would be standing in the middle of the street. Are you on an overpass? BTW was going through your pictures on the web and the shots of the people are like opening the cover a different books and only being able to read the blurbs on the cover flap. I commented on one picture of the mosque and wonder why with such talent and creativity, man as a species can't come together better to preserve such wonders. It would seem that we have allowed only the dark sides of our cultures to interact rather than emphasizing the awe and positives of other cultures.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

To me the color image is teeming with life and excitement. There are strong diagonals leading the eye to explore the detail of everything from the rail stations to the rows of residential streetlights to the construction towers and everything in between.

There are also strong visual triangles formed by the top and bottom of the tall building on the left over to the bright area on the extreme right.

I would say that compositionally, you nailed this one perfectly Phil.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

HI Phil,

I love the colour one best.

As many above have said; great images.

All the best,