Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moraine Lake Evening

Real Name
    Graham

Moraine Lake Evening

I have been doing a lot of work on this image on Photoshop for printing and I am still unhappy with the print values. Does it work?

Moraine Lake Evening

Canon 1Ds Mk111 Zeiss 21mm f2.8. f8 at 1/200th sec ISO400
    Graham

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Moraine Lake Evening

Graham, I like the upper part by I do not like the lower part (shore line), what if you did a "Alt+Ctrl+shift+E" a visial merge, of the layers the duplicated that layer, reworked for the shoreline, put a mask on then invert and brushed in the new changes over the previous layer.

Cheers:

Allan

PS: It has been years since I was there, but sure a pretty place.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Graham it's a very nice image IMO (but then I do love Moraine Lake !!). I've taken some early morning shots there and seen a lot of morning and day shots on the web but I don't think I've seen an evening shot. It certainly presents it in a different way. It's a nice soft light and I like the colour tones. The sun on the mountains looks good too.

As far as your printing is concerned, I offer two comments :

The tones and colours look very nice on my 24" monitor but I wonder if they may look a little subdued on a print ? (I'm afraid I have no expertise here though.)

I don't know what size and shape a print you are looking at but I tried a 5x7 crop positioned to lose a bit of the foreground but no sky. This made the foreground a little less prominent and I thought this was a plus but that's just my opinion.

Dave

PS : What time of day and year was it taken ?

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Wow, guess I never thought about that kind of mountains in Australia right? What jumps out at me right away is the reflection of the sunny mountain in the lake, almost like something on the shore rather than a reflection, could it e softened some? I think the sticks in the front on the shore add visual clutter and noise to an otherwise tranquil and inspiring scene. Would love to see it in person.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Connie: Graham was visting Canada this summer, Moraine Lake is in the Alberta, one of our more famous lakes located in Banff National Park. It use to be printed on the back of the Canadian Twenty Dollar bill.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Graham

Connie, Dave and Allan,

Thanks for the comments. I was in Canada this time, September to October last year. The image was made just before sunset, I was a bit nervous about wandering around by myself much later, as there was a mother bear about with her cubs. I am used to deadly snakes and sharks but bears I do not understand.

It is a Moraine lake fed by a number of glaciers so the trees and mud on the bank comes with the territory. I was trying to capture something of the nature of the place. I will try cropping some out but I am not sure that works either. On the print it looks as though I have 2 images with the lower one looking as though it is monochrome. I have got a monochrome overlay layer in it to lift the local contrast. Maybe I have reduced the saturation of the lower section too much to control the blue reflections from the timber.

I agree that the reflection on the water creates some tension but I am comfortable with tension in an image.

Graham

Real Name
    Allan Short

Graham: I did a little work with your image, I hope you are comfortable with the change, if not please let me know and I will withdraw the worked image. What I did was what I suggested in the above post. Yes mother bears can be very nastie.

Cheers:

Allan

Moraine Lake Evening