Thread: Barn Owl

Real Name
    David

Barn Owl

Hello

I am looking for constructive critiques of the photograph, as below, in the sense of composition, impact, focus etc. Although its always nice to know if people like a photo or not (and please feel free to say ) what I am really after is constructive feedback on the image so that I can learn and develop (no pun intended !!) my skills.

Taken using a Nikon D300s with a Sigma 150 - 500mm f5 - 6.3 DG OS lens. Taken at 380mm, f8, 1/2000s, ISO 800, 0EV. No flash or other lighting, just natural daylight. Some minor tweaking carried in PSE 9, mainly to levels.

Many thanks in advance for constructive comments.

barn-owl-web.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Barn Owl

I think my main area of concern, David, would be to reduce the amount of black space at the top. But this may mean having to use a square crop.

Other than that, it looks good. Possibly selectively brighten the darker feathers.

To some extent, it is a pity that the bird is 'looking out of the fame' but I suspect this would become less of a problem after reducing the top space.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM61 View Post
    Hello

I am looking for constructive critiques of the photograph, as below, in the sense of composition, impact, focus etc. Although its always nice to know if people like a photo or not (and please feel free to say ) what I am really after is constructive feedback on the image so that I can learn and develop (no pun intended !!) my skills.

Taken using a Nikon D300s with a Sigma 150 - 500mm f5 - 6.3 DG OS lens. Taken at 380mm, f8, 1/2000s, ISO 800, 0EV. No flash or other lighting, just natural daylight. Some minor tweaking carried in PSE 9, mainly to levels.

Many thanks in advance for constructive comments.

barn-owl-web.jpg
    In my opinion a photograph must pp his shots.Do not pp the shots is not a glory.So I transform yours into "nef" file with Capture NX2 and then a short pp in PSE with lasso tool on eye and then levels to bright.
    Barn Owl
    Thank you
    Radu
    PS- I have this lens and I know its "softness" over 300mm.

Real Name
    David

Many thanks Geoff and Radu for the comments and assistance with this, very much appreciated. I like the results Radu with the adjustments that you have made.
    Geoff, yes, it does result in square crop, which I feel detracts from the shot. Would I have been better including a bit more of the stump it was on, so that the owl is higher up in the frame/shot, and thus not including as much background?

Many thanks.

Yes a bit more at the bottom, and less at the top would have worked well. Alternatively, a slight rotation to 'straighten up' the owl would allow you to crop a fraction off the top and right side.