Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indian Pond Heron: BW

Real Name
    Bedanta

Indian Pond Heron: BW

While sneaking up on a Great Blue Heron, I spotted this guy sitting on a barbed wire fence. It's a very common Indian Pond Heron and can be found near every water body, so I just ignored him. But that GBH gave me very tough time and though I managed to get a couple of distant shots, I was never able to get closer. He was constantly following my every movement and would not let me close enough to get the shot I wanted. (In this respect, I found that the smaller birds are more considerate, I was able to move within 10 feets of them on a couple of occasions).

After 30 minutes or so I gave up and while returning I noticed this guy still sitting there, eagerly waiting for my attention. Could not ignore him anymore and I just took a snap of him before returning. While reviewing the photos back home, it caught my eyes somehow (not sure for what reason) and wanted to give it a try. The BW version looked better to me, thought of sharing this with you for your feedback. Does this work for you? Any other suggestion on composition / post processing, etc. are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Indian Pond Heron: BW

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Indian Pond Heron: BW

Gorgeous! Almost can see your lens in its eye

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, it does work for me. I don't think pond herons get a lot of attention, they are everywhere and not very photogenic. It looks as if you done a lot of PP work to get the sculptured head and soft feathers and I think that is what makes it stand out. That razor wire looks a bit nasty though!

Real Name
    Miltos

Fantastic composition, symbolism, tonalities and BW conversion.

Well done!

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

The wing feathers look air brushed, his stillness looks designed for you to take his picture. The wire texture is good contrast with his smoothness and keeps him anchored, so to speak, think the BW works, color my have diluted the impact. Impressive. I think the GBH would be envious and ashamed he didn't hang around for you.

Real Name
    Bedanta

Thanks Flyfisher, Dave, Miltos and Connie, appreciate your encouraging words very much.