Thread: LR4 Reducing Digital Noise Tutorial

Real Name
    Soozie

Re: LR4 Reducing Digital Noise Tutorial

Thanks Carl,

Even I could follow what was happening there. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Soozie B View Post
    Thanks Carl,

Even I could follow what was happening there. :-)
    Yea I like them for the same reason. Some tutorials are just way over my head and the youtube's can be very informative yet simple. I have learned a lot about LR4 that way. Kelby training videos are very good and I am thinking about signing up for a couple of months this winter at $25.00 a month thats not bad and your not limited to just LR4 you have access to all their training videos. I took the free trial and loved it.
    Colin was the one who recommended it to me a while back.

OK so can anyone answer this question?
    In the video she stated that you should do noise reduction before sharpening so as to avoid sharpening the noise artifacts (seems pretty sensible to me). However, as shown in the video LR has sharpening set to 25 by default when you first open an image. So, should I reduce this to zero before doing my noise reduction? The presenter didn't so I am wondering if 25 is kind of the base/zero setting for sharpening.
    Last edited by dan marchant; 16th October 2012 at 03:11 AM.

I don't think it matter where you start.

I leave the default sharpening where it is, then check for noise, then re-check the sharpening.

This back and forth process (iteration) should probably be done with all operations - some people call it fine tuning.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge could comment on this.

Glenn

PS - and my thanks to Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    OK so can anyone answer this question?
    In the video she stated that you should do noise reduction before sharpening so as to avoid sharpening the noise artifacts (seems pretty sensible to me). However, as shown in the video LR has sharpening set to 25 by default when you first open an image. So, should I reduce this to zero before doing my noise reduction? The presenter didn't so I am wondering if 25 is kind of the base/zero setting for sharpening.
    Dan your post got me to wondering and I found this link Lightroom 4 Sharpening - what am I missing? that will address your question. From what I can tell it is capture sharpening that is applied by default to 25. I suppose that it would be okay to do NR at that setting but I am not sure..