Thread: Jumping in with both feet.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Jumping in with both feet.

This is my first download and share with anyone other than family mostly on FB.
    I took this at about noon, standing at surf line, there were absolutely no clouds. I have been trying to learn my camera (Nikon D5000) and have decided to try the manual mode and look at exposure histograms to fiddle with aperture and shutter speed. I have done some PP on this one in ACR with PSE 11. Looking for C&C on all of it please.

Last edited by CLK; 15th October 2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Inadvertently deleted original picture, replaced with adjusted horizon

Real Name
    John

Re: Jumping in with both feet.

Hi Connie,
    it looks very nice from what I can see, but it's very small so cannot make any real comments.
    Could you post it a bit bigger please.
    Thanks John

Real Name
    Allan Short

Connie: Please read how to post images, this image is too small.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Great, guess that is part of the new also. It was huge in PSE and so saved it down to 700 pixels like and this is what I came out with. I have a Photoshop.com account which could take a larger file, but that doesn't share on here does it. I created a CIC album and took it from that.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

I thought I had followed it step by step, and was surprised when it came out so small also. Will go back and reread.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Connie: try this, make a new folder label it CIC, now open you image in PSE, go to image>size, make the longest lenght 1700, set DPI to 100, now go to File>save for web, hit save when asked where go to your CIC folder, >save. When that has happened, close the image but DO NOT SAVE, for if you do you will save the orginal image with the new change. Now up load to CIC, you should find the image in the CIC folder.

Cheers:

Allan

PS: I see that you did create a CIC folder, just change size to I use height no more than 1080 and width 1920. Tinypic will adjust to fit.
    Last edited by Polar01; 14th October 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: did read Connie's post well enough

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Back to the drawing board, I have had not luck in reducing the size out of PSE or increasing the size in CIC. Will keep learning.

Real Name
    John

Hi Connie,
    I'm not sure what the white area is around your actual picutre. When you open the picture in PSE is the white area showing?
    If not then increasing the size should be straight forward, under the 'Image' tab move down to 'Resize' then pick 'Resize image'

As Allan has aready said, in the dialogue box that appears set the width to something like 1200 and the height 800, then set the resolution to 72. Then use the 'Save As' button to save onto your computer. As Allan said be careful and do not use the save buttom in case you over-right the original picture.
    Then post to CiC as you appear to have done in your 1st post.
    Good luck.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Ok, thanks great instructions, I think I must have misread somewhere that image was to only be 700 pixels and that made it way too small, also that what area was supposed to be a frame and that may have been part of the problem also that the frame saved much larger than I had intended. OK here goes let's see if it works.

Nikon D5000
    f/8, ISO 200, 1/1000
    Last edited by CLK; 14th October 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to include metadata

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice Connie! I love the action of the surf. Nice leading lines and great subject size and detail. Even the sky has some detail but it is very subtle. Well done.

It might need a little clockwise rotation to get the horizon looking level?

Real Name
    Sergio

Beautiful exposure, Connie. Nicely done.

Serge

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Thank you, As you can see I had a little trouble getting it loaded and in the process I lost my horizon. I also have a tendency to tilt my camera when I shoot, this was a hand held picture, my tripod appears smarter than me.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

This is the straightened horizon version

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    Ok, thanks great instructions, I think I must have misread somewhere that image was to only be 700 pixels and that made it way too small, also that what area was supposed to be a frame and that may have been part of the problem also that the frame saved much larger than I had intended. OK here goes let's see if it works.

Nikon D5000
    f/8, ISO 200, 1/1000
    Hi Connie,

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here? contains chapter and verse on image posting.

You are correct that pictures that are attachments, or in albums at CiC are limited to 700px, but there is also a TinyPic method which allows up to 1600px (width).

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Thank you.