Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long exposure

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Long exposure (Shot repeated)

Hi. Went to the beach this afternoon, trying to obtain some long exposure shots (water flow). Sadly, when I just mounted the tripod and shot twice, it suddenly started to rain

Anyway, here is the shot I was able to get. I might try again tomorrow, as long as weather allows me to do so...C&C welcome. Thanks for viewing.

Long exposure
    Last edited by Otavio; 14th October 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Re: Long exposure

Looks quite good to me. You've captured that sense of the waves pushing up the beach. Nice composition and exposure. Good luck with the weather tomorrow. I'm hoping for some misty river shots in the morning - if the weather man got it right.
    Clive

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Looks good to me -- I think you just need to take your post-processing up a notch though. Here's I've pushed the exposure & brightness - added some clarity - cropped - sharpened - and some window dressing, and ...

Long exposure

Real Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Looks good to me -- I think you just need to take your post-processing up a notch though. Here's I've pushed the exposure & brightness - added some clarity - cropped - sharpened - and some window dressing, and ...

Long exposure
    Excellent job Colin!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    Excellent job Colin!
    Thanks Patrick, but it's really not hard. I really just wanted to make the point that one really couldn't get the result I did straight out of the camera and thus folks really need to balance "photography skill" with "post-production skill" these days.

The thing that really struck me about the original photo was lack of sharpening, which (sadly) is a very common fault.

Real Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thanks Patrick, but it's really not hard. I really just wanted to make the point that one really couldn't get the result I did straight out of the camera and thus folks really need to balance "photography skill" with "post-production skill" these days.

The thing that really struck me about the original photo was lack of sharpening, which (sadly) is a very common fault.
    Agreed, the first thing I thought when I first saw the original was that it was too blurry but after seeing your version I realized that maybe the focus was spot on after all

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Nice shot (love the rocks) and nice comments from Colin about PP.

Another idea for you for a long exposure.
    Use the cutie in your avatar. Baby in seat at feeding time, camera on tripod, and a long exposure.
    No need to wait for the water - and a great shot of mess being created .
    Graham

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Otavio,
    The composition is really good. With FL = 27mm (FFE) and f/22 (large DoF) everything should be in focus (but it don't happened). There may have been loss in size reduction. I was thinking if the tripod was stable, but the photo became very good after the sharpening (excellent job Colins).
    Colins, please explain all the steps (and the parameters) you did for sharpening the picture of Otavio.
    Cheers,
    Antonio.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Colins, please explain all the steps (and the parameters) you did for sharpening the picture of Otavio.
    Hi Antonio,

I could, but it really wouldn't help, as sharpening is going to depend on the image and it's resolution. In this case don't have access to the original high-resolution image, and that's where 2 of the 3 sharpening passes need to be made for optimal results.

I written about sharpening a few times in the past; you might find these helpful ...

Sharpening and Noise Reduction Sequence

When/How to Best Sharpen a Digital Photograph

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Thanks Clive, Colin and Patrick,for your comments! Colin, your PP and the explanation about what you did were very usefull. I appreciated it!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Antonio. Well, I used F/22 to put everything focused. As I mentioned, I had no time to play the image on LCD, check, try again, etc, as, all of a sudden, it started to rain. I think the wind might have moved the camera a bit, as the weather was not good at all. Thanks for viewing!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Graham. Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I do love photographing my baby. there is one of him on my bike on monochrome mini comp 666. He is really my favourite model!!
    Cheers!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hi Antonio. Well, I used F/22 to put everything focused. As I mentioned, I had no time to play the image on LCD, check, try again, etc, as, all of a sudden, it started to rain. I think the wind might have moved the camera a bit, as the weather was not good at all. Thanks for viewing!
    Was the photo heavily cropped?

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Not at all, Colin. Just about 20 to 25% in the bottom and 15 to 20% in the left.

Real Name

Not at all, Colin. Just about 20 to 25% in the bottom and 15 to 20% in the left.
    I was just wondering why it wasn't a bit sharper, but probably just diffraction + lens quality at a guess.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Could be, although I still believe the tripod might have shaken a bit. By the way, the lens used was nikkor 18-55 AF-S DX VR. Regards,

Real Name

Could be, although I still believe the tripod might have shaken a bit. By the way, the lens used was nikkor 18-55 AF-S DX VR. Regards,
    Thanks Otavio. I'm not familiar with Nikon equipment -- thought it might just be their kit lens, but I take it that that's not the case?

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Colin, that is actually the case. This is the kit lens that came with the camera. Do you believe this could be the reason of the lack of sharpness, rather than focusing problem, or tripod shaking?

Thanks...

Real Name

Colin, that is actually the case. This is the kit lens that came with the camera. Do you believe this could be the reason of the lack of sharpness, rather than focusing problem, or tripod shaking?

Thanks...
    It'll be all 3 -- but hard to say just how much of each.

I "fondly" remember my first kit lens -- the only thing that stopped me kicking the darn thing into orbit was the fact that someone gave me $50 for it. It was horible; poor sharpness - poor contrast. I changed to L-Series and never looked back.

Kit lenses have undoubtadly improved, but I'm still wary of them to be honest.

Real Name
    Bobo

A very nice image Otavio and Colin's edit made a good image better. Nice work.

Personally I would have continued shooting in the rain for some nice misty effects.

I bought one of these gizmos a while back and a rain cover. Both are in a small bag which is strapped onto one of the tripod legs. The umbrella also works as a reflector. In addition to the umbrellas holder, the clamp also has a hot-shoe connector for off camera flash work. Quite light too.

http://www.velbon.biz/_src/sc1177/uc-6.jpg
    http://www.velbon.biz/_src/sc1179/UC-6-2.jpg
    http://www.velbon.biz/product/access/access.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast