Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 1D mk3 help

Real Name
    Paul

Canon 1D mk3 help

I'm having a bit of trouble with my 1D

I use to have safety shift enabled (on ISO) but since my kids got hold of it and started using it as a spaceship, my settings seem to have gone a miss !!!!

It does not matter what I do, I can't seem to put it right ?

I had it set to a max of ISO 1600 and changed the settings to enable this however it still jumps to ISO 3200 ?

I have tried a factory reset yet it still does not want to play and now, on my top screen my digits seem to be different ???

Where the ISO is displayed such as...

ISO 1600 or 3200 it now looks like this, ISO 16oo or 32oo ??

The '0' is now a lot smaller ?

I am so confused...HELP

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Canon 1D mk3 help

There is a moral to this story!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Paul,

You've got HTP (Highlight Tone Priority) turned on. Turn it off and it'll cure #2, and MAY have an effect on #1.

Real Name
    Paul

I knew you would be along to save the day, I feel a little guilty now as I have not been in here for such a long time but as soon as I had a problem, you were the first person that I thought off

Will make more of an effort now

Real Name

No worries Paul -- did it cure both problems?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    There is a moral to this story!
    Er yes, your right but I can't seem too put my finger on it, maybe it's called 'make sure you don't leave your stuff laying around in future' story

Real Name
    Paul

It cured the small digits why does that have an effect ?

With regards to limiting it to ISO 1600, it still jumps to 3200 even though I have set it too 1600 ?

You are a wealth of knowledge lol

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
    Er yes, your right but I can't seem too put my finger on it, maybe it's called 'make sure you don't leave your stuff laying around in future' story
    Or ... when you have the camera sorted, write the settings to the CF or SD card and save the file somewhere

Real Name

It cured the small digits why does that have an effect ?
    The small digits just mean it's set to HTP mode

I'll have a play with my 1Ds3 and see if I can figure out the SS for you (I don't use it personally).

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    The small digits just mean it's set to HTP mode

I'll have a play with my 1Ds3 and see if I can figure out the SS for you (I don't use it personally).
    I tend not to use it too, but I have had a few jobs recently shooting rugby festivals and with the changing light all the time, it suited me better...if it worked lol

Real Name

Paul - what shooting mode are you using the camera in (Av, Tv, etc)?

Real Name

Hi Paul,

Just read your PM!

A 1Ds3 has a normal ISO range of 100 -> 1600, but a 1D3 has a normal ISO range of 100 -> 3200. Safety shift basically has "full authority" over ISO; you can't restrict it with the max ISO setting, but it won't use H or L modes.

Best option is to upgrade to a 1Dx, where you can use Auto ISO - and up to 14 fps

Real Name
    Paul

When using safety shift, I use it in Tv mode, I have also noticed that the F number constantly flashes on the top screen and not allowing me to change it using the speed dial however it does change the exp and when I raise it to the max, the F number will then only go to F4 otherwise it's staying around F18

Which means I can't have a shutter speed of around 1/800 1/1000 with F4, it keeps changing the F number to around F9-F12

I'm really really confused

Real Name
    Paul

What about C.Fn I no 3 ?

Real Name

Hi Paul,

In Tv mode, you set the shutterspeed, and the camera sets the aperture. The aperture doesn't have as much variation as shutterspeed, so (assuming an F2.8 lens) it's possible to require an aperture wider than F2.8 (eg F2 or F1.4 etc), or an aperture narrower than F22 or F32 (or whatever the lens minimum aperture is) fairly easily. In either of these situations (assuming safety shift (ISO) is off) the aperture value will flash to say "sorry, no can do".

If safety shift (ISO) is on then if the aperture is already wide open but it's still not wide enough for a standard exposure then (and only then) it'll increase the ISO in steps right up to the maximum normal ISO (eg 3200 in your case). If the aperture is STILL flashing when the shutter release is 1/2 pressed then it's the camera's way of saying "sorry buddy - we've all maxed out here and STILL can't get a correct exposure) (same happens at the other end of the range too, except that ISO will be at a minimum).

If you're in Tv mode - and Safety Shift (ISO) is on - and you want to stop the aperture opening all the way in a low-light situation then you need to set a max aperture parameter using CF 1-13.

What about C.Fn I no 3 ?
    Nope - Safety Shift has absolute and complete control - you can't set limits on it.

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Paul

It does help although its flashing when I have safety shift enabled...or do I ? I'm getting very confused with this, is there any chance this can pick up a virus or bug ?

It's really not behaving its self !

Real Name

It does help although its flashing when I have safety shift enabled...or do I ? I'm getting very confused with this, is there any chance this can pick up a virus or bug ?

It's really not behaving its self !
    Hi Paul,

No - it won't have a virus or bug. They CAN get screwed up, but 99.999% of the time it's just doing what it's been told to do.

In Tv mode you should only get the flashing if the camera senses that it can't get a correct exposure (regardless of weather safety shift is off or on) - the difference with safety shift on is that it buys you another 5 stops before you'll get flashing.

If it's still doing it though, you'll need to tell me what shutter speed you're trying for, and what your maximum aperture is - and what light levels you're trying to do this in (eg outside on a sunny day).

Assuming you have a max aperture of F4, in Tv mode you'll probably get flashing outside @ 1/800th @ ISO 100 because it'll want to use F2.8 and won't be able to.