Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Yellow On Red

  1. #1
    JimFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio
    Posts
    55
    Real Name
    Jim Abbott

    Yellow On Red

    I would love some critique on this shot...good, bad, or anywhere in between. EXIF info: Canon EOS 40D, 135mm, f 5.6, 1/250 sec. ISO 100 This is not really my favorite type of shot, but I like to experiment with things like this every once in a while. Thanks.

    Yellow On Red

  2. #2
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Hi Jim, it is always good the experiment and learn new things. You not only learn what works well but you may also learn what doesn't work so well.

    What are you trying to achieve in this image? That is, what was it about the scene that you liked when you looked at it and convinced you to snap the shutter?

    Different folks like a wide variety of different looks in images and for me that is usually a simpler image with a relatively clear separation between the subject and background. There are several things that can provide that separation; color, contrast, focus, size, vibrancy, busyness, etc.

    Here you clearly have a focus separation but for me there is still a lot of competition from the background with very similar color, contrast and busyness. So for me it works, but the separation could be more apparent and possibly work better.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 12th October 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: Yellow On Red

    I think, Jim, I would try a crop from the top and right side to give more prominence to the intended subject.

  4. #4
    JimFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio
    Posts
    55
    Real Name
    Jim Abbott

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I think, Jim, I would try a crop from the top and right side to give more prominence to the intended subject.
    I think you are right about the crop... I think it does look better.
    And to answer Frank, I wanted the yellow leaves to stand out nicely from the red leaves in the background. I would have liked to have a little more blur to the red leaves, the the lens was wide open already. Thanks guys.
    Yellow On Red
    Last edited by JimFred; 12th October 2012 at 06:25 PM.

  5. #5
    Daisy Mae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wick, Caithness, Scotland.
    Posts
    2,526
    Real Name
    Sharon

    Re: Yellow On Red

    It certainly looks better without the frame which adds yet another dimension.

    You do have the focal seperation at my maximum tolerance here and I am afraid it makes me a little dizzy.

  6. #6
    JimFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio
    Posts
    55
    Real Name
    Jim Abbott

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Thanks for your input, Sharon. As far as the frame goes, I think I am a lousy judge on when to use one or not. It's just hit and miss with me. I hope the dizzy spell has subsided by now. LOL

  7. #7
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    517
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    It certainly looks better without the frame which adds yet another dimension.

    You do have the focal seperation at my maximum tolerance here and I am afraid it makes me a little dizzy.
    Me too

    J

  8. #8
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Quote Originally Posted by JimFred View Post
    I think you are right about the crop... I think it does look better.
    And to answer Frank, I wanted the yellow leaves to stand out nicely from the red leaves in the background. I would have liked to have a little more blur to the red leaves, the the lens was wide open already. Thanks guys.
    Yellow On Red
    The crop and removal of the border has certainly improved the image in reaching your goal Jim. There is sufficient separation to make a statement and more importantly, to get folks to explore the image in depth.

  9. #9
    JimFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio
    Posts
    55
    Real Name
    Jim Abbott

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    The crop and removal of the border has certainly improved the image in reaching your goal Jim. There is sufficient separation to make a statement and more importantly, to get folks to explore the image in depth.
    Thanks, Frank. Appreciate it very much. Thanks for your input, too, Jeff.

  10. #10
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Yellow On Red

    Jim, I thought your original version was as acceptable as any cropped versions or versions without frames. To me there is not enough separation between the foreground yellow leaves and the red leaves, which make it difficult to see the yellow leaves without really staring at the image. The yellow leaves are still lost within the red leaves. If it were my image, I would try to significantly darken the red. That may defeat your objective.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •