Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Does this one work ?

  1. #1
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    521
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Does this one work ?

    Comments Appreciated

    Does this one work ?

  2. #2
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Hi Jeff, it has some nice compositional elements but for a scene like this you want to explore a number of angles to shoot from. For example, if the camera was a little lower, the tree branch might not block out part of the island. Different shooting angles don't always dramatically improve the image but sometimes they generate a different feel to the composition.

  3. #3
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Maybe a little less of the trunk and it works. The tree is just a bit too dominant as foreground for me but it is a nice scene. A few steps to the right I think.

  4. #4
    Mark von Kanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,861
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Is this one youve shown before only its been tone mapped?

  5. #5
    pinakibaidya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Darjeeling
    Posts
    378
    Real Name
    pinaki

    Re: Does this one work ?

    I agree with Frank and Wayne.Your composition is very good and looking like a painting.

  6. #6
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    521
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Jeff, it has some nice compositional elements but for a scene like this you want to explore a number of angles to shoot from. For example, if the camera was a little lower, the tree branch might not block out part of the island. Different shooting angles don't always dramatically improve the image but sometimes they generate a different feel to the composition.
    Yes, I did do this at the time, and this was the one I liked best - "Bracketing the composition" is something I usually do. Do you think that the branches touching the Island spoil the shot ?

    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

    J

  7. #7
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    521
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Is this one youve shown before only its been tone mapped?
    No its a different shot in a different place to the one I posted before - its not tone mapped.

    J

  8. #8
    escaladieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SW France
    Posts
    521
    Real Name
    Jeff

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Maybe a little less of the trunk and it works. The tree is just a bit too dominant as foreground for me but it is a nice scene. A few steps to the right I think.
    Hmm, if I did that I'd lose my Diagonals ...

    Thanks for the response

    J

  9. #9
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Quote Originally Posted by escaladieu View Post
    Yes, I did do this at the time, and this was the one I liked best - "Bracketing the composition" is something I usually do. Do you think that the branches touching the Island spoil the shot ?
    Not necessarily. You took the time to explore the various shooting angles, were able to see things that are not apparent in the final image, and adjusted for what you saw. That’s exactly what I would have done.

    In the end, although it is worthwhile to get feedback, the best image is always the one YOU like best as you'll rarely be able to satisfy everyone.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bucharest,Romania
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Does this one work ?

    In my opinion,don't link to close by diagonals.There is a a point you should have to link,the shadow of the tree on the ground.The strong angle of the tree could be used in a stormy weather or in a without leaves season.
    Thanks
    Radu

  11. #11
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Does this one work ?

    Jeff. I think it works. I don't mind the branch covering some of the island - that's what was there and it looks natural. I would recommend cropping perhaps as much as 20% off the top. I don't think you need so much tree, and by cropping it off, your eye will spend more time on the island, water and beach.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,625
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Does this one work ?

    The tree found a beautiful location to grow up in.

    Maybe wrong, but that is what you set out to show right? If so, it works for me as is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •